Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Like Laroc3 said, what is the change? Just taking away the necessity of a calculation with the Table?
It's a pointless rule that basically says: if a 120v branch circuit is in a single family dwelling and is a general purpose lighting or receptacle circuit and not a dedicated circuit for a specific load, then regardless of the load the maximum length of the run for a given wire size is dictated by this new table 106.

I think they probably figured the load varies too much on those circuits to do any proper VD calculation so they introduced this arbitrary maximum length requirement. So now because it's easy to exceed 38m to the last device from the main service I would imagine a lot of general purpose 15A circuits run in 14/2 will now have to be run in 12/2 or even 10/2. Great way to needlessly drive up the cost of wiring a house for no real benefit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's a pointless rule that basically says: if a 120v branch circuit is in a single family dwelling and is a general purpose lighting or receptacle circuit and not a dedicated circuit for a specific load, then regardless of the load the maximum length of the run for a given wire size is dictated by this new table 106.

I think they probably figured the load varies too much on those circuits to do any proper VD calculation so they introduced this arbitrary maximum length requirement. So now because it's easy to exceed 38m to the last device from the main service I would imagine a lot of general purpose 15A circuits run in 14/2 will now have to be run in 12/2 or even 10/2. Great way to needlessly drive up the cost of wiring a house for no real benefit.
Sounds about right, sigh

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not to mention drive down the value of current homes, unless you want to pay for the upgrade?

After all, anyone want to buy a house with aluminum wiring? Well it will be the same once realestate agents start catching on to the fact that older houses don't meet the new code.

How much was your house just devalued?

By the way it will be in the next CEC as well, not just Ontario.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
After all, anyone want to buy a house with aluminum wiring?
I do!

Paid probably $40-50k less for my house just because it had aluminum wiring. Awesome! :thumbsup:

Before I sell I'll put a big ass junction box above the panel, somewhere less than easily visible and pigtail to the panel with copper. Shazam! Home inspectors will now say it's copper wiring. Instant $40k in my pocket.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I do!

Paid probably $40-50k less for my house just because it had aluminum wiring. Awesome! :thumbsup:

Before I sell I'll put a big ass junction box above the panel, somewhere less than easily visible and pigtail to the panel with copper. Shazam! Home inspectors will now say it's copper wiring. Instant $40k in my pocket.
Don't forget to change ALL the plugs and switches to spec grade because they are pretty much the only ones that are approved for aluminum on the market right now.

That will still leave you ahead, but it will take you a couple of days work too.

And you are still going to have to up size for voltage drop too.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
Don't forget to change ALL the plugs and switches to spec grade becausebtheyvare pretty much the only ones that are approved for aluminum on the market right now.

That will still leave you ahead, but it will take you a couple of days work too.
Already pigtailed copper almost everywhere to white decora's and TR's for receptacles. I wanted to go through every connection of the aluminum to find problems.

Never found any.. I was surprised! Heard so many horror stories of aluminum, but I conclude it's either an inferior aluminum wire grade previous to my homes vintage, or bad installation technique, or not pigtailing and instead using the receptacles in series for splices.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In my experience the biggest problem with aluminum wire was poor installation. Just not done right.
I agree, I had an old master who used to use the four moves rule when it came to aluminum, you can't move a conductor more than four times or it's shot, now I just run when I can or at the very least make it worth my while.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The one thing I have noticed lately is that not all solderless connectors are rated for aluminum anymore. I have a new box of 333 Marettes in front of me and in the fine print it is marked rated for cu/cu joints only.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Not to mention drive down the value of current homes, unless you want to pay for the upgrade?

After all, anyone want to buy a house with aluminum wiring? Well it will be the same once realestate agents start catching on to the fact that older houses don't meet the new code.

How much was your house just devalued?

By the way it will be in the next CEC as well, not just Ontario.
You know that aluminum wiring was never recalled or condemned and if it was avaialable you could install it now. I know aluminum's reputation is not good but the wire is fine and still legal to install. You just can't get is smaller than #8 these days.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The wire was fine, it just wasn't installed or maintained right. But it has a stigma attached to it that it burns down houses so people don't want it.

But aluminum is used all over in commercial and industrial for services. Even residential in some cases.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
It's totally true.. even my father in law told us not to buy our current house if it has aluminum wiring. I'm like "are you seriously giving me advice on electrical issues?"

So I had to buy the house since he said not to!

People just don't know and only know what they hear, and it's easy to pass on "oh aluminum wiring is dangerous and burn down houses."

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have numerous aluminum treatments and most have had no issues. Everything good.

But I had to add copper pigtails at every device with 63 or 65 marrets filled with noalox.
And go through entire house finding every junction box and all. Takes me a Full day to do a 2 story house treatment myself.

But here you can't sell a house now without it getting treated for insurance won't cover you.

Had one house the other day that their insurance company would not insure them unless all aluminum was removed. Luckily only 4 dedicated circuits were aluminum so was easy to remove / replace with copper.

Only had a few houses with burnt up splices, but was caused by heavy draws and/or loose connections. Had one house they had a oil heater pluged in the downstairs front door, pulled off the receptacle upstairs behind their tv and could barly touch the wires for they were so hot from the load, on same circuit.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
But here you can't sell a house now without it getting treated for insurance won't cover you.

Had one house the other day that their insurance company would not insure them unless all aluminum was removed. Luckily only 4 dedicated circuits were aluminum so was easy to remove / replace with copper.
Gotta shop around, it totally varies company to company. Some companies will not even insure aluminum wiring (as you mentioned), some want hefty premiums for it, some want it fully inspected by an electrician and certified (done that couple times for HO's), and some don't care at all about it.

We were with Canadian Direct for the longest time, but they gave us a hard time about buying a house with aluminum wiring, and I recall BCAA being one of the worst quotes (surprising). We wound up switching to Intact, they didn't ask for anything and their rate was pretty low.. they dropped it another $600/yr for having 24hr fire monitoring.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts