Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My appologise first of all - I am not an electrical contractor - I design restaurants for my sins.

One of the questions that comes up frequently is how much power a restaurant will need and I wondred if any of you would be able to offer any rules of thumb that would give an estimate based purely on the size of the restaurant.

I have been given some numbers based upon the size of the kitchen and the size of the seating areas and would like to see if they match with others reckonings.

Best wishes
Nick Soph

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Basic 'rule of thumb': The bigger the kitchen, the bigger the service.

Only a load calculation will give you a proper answer. There's far too many variables involved to come up with an 'amps per square foot' number.

·
Semi-Retired
1,289 Posts
One of the questions that comes up frequently is how much power a restaurant will need and I wondred if any of you would be able to offer any rules of thumb that would give an estimate based purely on the size of the restaurant.
More than the existing building is fed with. ;)

Try these folks: Welcome To FCSI! :: Foodservice Consultants Society International ::

Welcome To FCSI Europe/ Africa/ Middle East! :: FCSI :: Foodservice Consultants Society International ::

·
53 GONE AT LAST!
690 Posts
It will take 'nowhere near what you or anybody else thinks:eek:' it is always more....a LOT more, and then some:yes:

Sorry to be of bo help whatsoever but they are all different ie

Asian restaurant....all gas rings and woks with a few lights

Happy Vomitter [or whatever your equiv is] ...nearly all microwaves, very few lights so you cannot see what is on your plate:whistling2:

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
Ditto and echo what the others said. For a resturant, the only way is to find out about all the equipment that goes in, add up the load, do the calcs, then add some. You could add 60 or more amps three phase in a big kitchen for just the dishwasher sometimes. Some have big electric pizza ovens, soft serve machines, all kinds of stuff, and do it all in a small space.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
based purely on the size of the restaurant?

Not really. Cooking equipment draws a LOT of power....unless it's gas.

A lighting package with dimming modules, specified by some moron in an office can add an extra 20K.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,848 Posts
The golden rule of thumb for quotes with more than one variable is THERE IS NO "RULE OF THUMB", you need to do the MATH.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Like a Kw per square foot thing? I know of none because every installation is different. Just have to do the calculations. That's what electrical engineers are for, right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts