Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Can't Remember
10,777 Posts
Provided the vfd is sized correctly. A phase converter or roto phase may be an option depending on the machine and controls. Looking into this for my pet food customer who really needs a new service. 200amp single phase doesn't go too far when you start adding lots of these set ups.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the input; appreciated the link regarding 3 phase setups most. My impression is that sometimes VDF's can create problems with some motors. (He has a 30 A, 3 phase, 10 H.P. 200 Volt motor on an air compressor he bought.) I'm not sure if that would apply to this motor but, as far as I can tell, to be safe, it would probably be better if he were to just get another compressor.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts

·
Can't Remember
10,777 Posts
I try to train my customers to ask before they buy stuff. I didn't realize you could do the vfd thing until I asked here and got some good advice. These guys bought a new mixer that had a vfd set up for 480v 3ph. All he had was 240v 1ph. Called up the manufacturer of the vfd and told them what I had and they sold us an upsized version to do what we needed. Programming it wasn't to hard either and works good. They were looking at some additional equipment that didn't lend itself well too a vfd because of the controls so I priced a rotophase. Tried to make the point that it wouldn't take long before we would run out of capacity on the single phase service and installing these converters or larger vfds might exceed the cost of a proper service upgrade.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.