Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Am I the only one who feels that the data cabling we are installing today is already on the verge of being obsolete? With wireless and cellular etc most of our prewired stuff never gets used. Now there's HDMI-2 and before you know it probably the TV will be wireless anyway.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Am I the only one who feels that the data cabling we are installing today is already on the verge of being obsolete? With wireless and cellular etc most of our prewired stuff never gets used. Now there's HDMI-2 and before you know it probably the TV will be wireless anyway.
Cabling will never be obsolete, I lived in probably a more gentrified Apartment complex and had problems with wireless reliability. This was with modem being directly across the wall from the AP.

Unless you got already 5e, just do Cat6a and it should be good for 20+ years and cover emerging technologies that are increasingly being put on twisted pair.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,439 Posts
I put some Cat 6E in at the customers request-- The only issue is cost- I paid alot more for it then I did for cat 5E. I didn't even know there was a cat 7

·
Jesus Scott
9,382 Posts
You might not be the only one but I find I'm running more and more network cabling in homes. I just added three more drops to my home theater when I upgraded some gear. Wireless is for people who don't care about audio/video quality. and poor people.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.