Electrician Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone point me to the code section (Canadaian) that covers low voltage conductors in cable tray.

I've been asked to help on a job where they will be running battery cables between racks on cable tray. Battery voltage is 48 VDC. Cable is class II tray cable, single conductor. Circuit protected at source (breaker) and feeds some network equipment.

Single conductor cable, listed and UL Listed As: Central Office Power Cable, CSA AWM I B 105°C.

My basic question is: Can it be run as single condutor in the tray, or will it need physical protection (i.e PVC pipe/flex etc).

The exact cable proposed is Southwire Telcoflex II

http://www.southwire.com/ProductCatalog/XTEInterfaceServlet?contentKey=prodcatsheet439

(PS: The journeman will call it here, I was just looking to impress him by being somewhat informed ahead of time).

·
Safety Pin Member
2,255 Posts
Couple things you might look at:
Section 0 glossary - extra low voltage, low voltage, high voltage
Section 16 - Class I, II etc
Table 19 - Conditions of use
P&L

Reactions: MikeMan and emtnut

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
6,962 Posts
Would someone point me to the code section (Canadaian) that covers low voltage conductors in cable tray.

I've been asked to help on a job where they will be running battery cables between racks on cable tray. Battery voltage is 48 VDC. Cable is class II tray cable, single conductor. Circuit protected at source (breaker) and feeds some network equipment.

Single conductor cable, listed and UL Listed As: Central Office Power Cable, CSA AWM I B 105°C.

My basic question is: Can it be run as single condutor in the tray, or will it need physical protection (i.e PVC pipe/flex etc).

The exact cable proposed is Southwire Telcoflex II

http://www.southwire.com/ProductCatalog/XTEInterfaceServlet?contentKey=prodcatsheet439

(PS: The journeman will call it here, I was just looking to impress him by being somewhat informed ahead of time).
You are still required to follow section 12, since it is not power limited (sec 16).
As P&L mentioned, Table 19 shows uses for cables.
On the cable spec you posted, It's cable tray rated if 1/0 or larger

·
Registered
469 Posts
As long as their insulation rating is equal, they can lay in the same tray; however, separation may be required.
Raceway — any channel designed for holding wires, cables, or busbars, and, unless otherwise qualified in the Rules of this Code, the term includes conduit (rigid and flexible, metal and non-metallic), electrical metallic and non-metallic tubing, underfloor raceways, cellular floors, surface raceways, wireways, cable trays, busways, and auxiliary gutters.
(2) No raceway or compartment of a multiple-channel raceway shall contain conductors that are connected to different power or distribution transformers or other different sources of voltage, except where the conductors
(a) are separated by the metal armour or metal sheath of cable assemblies of the types listed in Table 19;
(b) are separated by a barrier of sheet steel not less than 1.34 mm (No. 16 MSG) thick or a flame-******ant non-metallic insulating material not less than 1.5 mm in thickness; or
(c) are used for the supply and/or control of remote devices, are insulated for at least the same voltage as that of the circuit having the highest voltage, and none of the conductors of the circuits of lower voltages is directly connected to a lighting branch circuit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Think plugsandlights is making a joke. I approve. I believe extra low voltage, commonly called low voltage is up to 40V, Low voltage is then 41-750V, and High is 750V+. Keep that in mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts