Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am having some trouble figuring out what is acceptable when it comes to wiring NMD90 through metal studs for a residential application. I have ran the wire on top of the I beam through the dropped drywall ceiling. I prefer this because there is not enough space under the I beam to run the wires as they will be too close to the bottom face of the metal studs. Please let me know if this is acceptable practice, or I should protect the wires while passing through the "rib".

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
3,105 Posts
What code rule are you referring to? Also, are you an electrician? Not trying to be offensive.

Your profile isn't that clear:

About jammin9
What is your electrical related field/trade:
canadian electrical code

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CEC 12-514 refers to protection on joints and rafters, but I can't see this wires ever getting damaged.

·
3,105 Posts
I agree with Frunk, bx will be your best bet. And thanks for fixing your profile, you had me worried that you weren't in the trade.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is nothing in the code that says I have to use BX. The building is both combustable and non-combustable material. if I were to place a pvc sleeve maybe?

·
3,105 Posts
Are you running it through studs?

And how are you supporting it along the ribs?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
CEC 12-514 refers to protection on joints and rafters, but I can't see this wires ever getting damaged.

If that was a roof above the beam, the NEC would most likely prohibit your installation.

Does the CEC have anything similar?

Reactions: papaotis

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its a rooftop Patio above. I have ran the NMD through the metal studs using plastic gromits. There are metal hanger used by the drywallers that I have tie wrapped my wires to every 4'.

Resi is new to me, I am an industrial/commercial electrician... Learning as I go.

·
3,105 Posts
12-516 Protection for cable in concealed installations

(1) Where the cable is run through studs, joists, or similar members, the outer surfaces of the cable shall be kept a distance of at least 32 mm from the edges of the members, or the cable shall be effectively protected from mechanical injury.

(2) Where the cable is run through or along metal studs, joists, sheathing, or cladding, it shall be

(a) located so as to be effectively protected from mechanical injury both during and after installation;

(b) protected where it passes through a member by an insert approved for the purpose and adequately secured in place.

(3) Where the cable is installed immediately behind a baseboard, it shall be effectively protected from mechanical injury from driven nails.

BX isn't required, but is the most common way of dealing with that situation. The PVC would act as a raceway IMHO

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes I agree. But its all been ran already :S. So whats my best option? to protect it with EMT sleeve or PVC? I mean it wont get damaged up there, I can not see how. Above is 6" of concrete.

·
3,105 Posts
How far back is the nearest connection? Personally I would slide the pvc that has been pre-bent with a heat gun and cooled. The ESA is the best when asking what the inspector wants They don't mind answering questions at all, they love working with contractors that aren't afraid to ask for direction.

P.S. Check your inbox.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well not my inspector. I asked what he wants and he never got back to me. I dont know any other inspectors either.

·
3,105 Posts
They can get quite busy and not return calls, give me a second and I will send you a link via PM.

;)

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Does all NMD have an undersized bare ground?

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Does all NMD have an undersized bare ground?
IT's Loomex or romex Shockdoc

But yes.
Yes if purchased as a stock item......but not necessarily.

You can order loomex with a full sized ground if necessary. I had it spec'd on a wooden construction building and had no problem getting it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts