Electrician Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I was thinking about...

Let's say for a moment that I owned (or a customer owned) land on both sides of a public road. What rules would there be regarding the lines going over the public property?

In this rhetorical question, We already know how to install all the electrical, all the clearances needed, but what rules if any would apply to running the triplex/quadplex over the road to avoid having to pay for 2 separate meter fees?

I don't know of any rules prohibiting it, but then again, I don't know of any rules that say we can...

Cheers ~ Kevin.

·
Registered
856 Posts
If it is going to be run on private poles maybe, I sincerely doubt the POCO would grant you attachment to their poles in their secondary space.

·
Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it is going to be run on private poles maybe, I sincerely doubt the POCO would grant you attachment to their poles in their secondary space.
In my rhetorical question, Yes, it would be private poles. I'm sure if I pay, the utility would allow me to attach to their pole. I know in Ontario I could pay, not sure how, but I could pay.

·
Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done this previously. Essentially you need a "right of way" and a design approval. Most will not let you go overhead, or use / access existing infrastructure such as poles.

Cheers
John
Glad to hear that I'm not the first person to think about this. "Right of way" I'm guessing would be the municipal issue if it's a municipal road? Design approval, would that be like ESA design approval or municipal?

Not something I plan on doing anytime soon, I'm just curious more than anything (although we DO own a property I could deploy this system on if I wanted to).

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
1,595 Posts
It happens around here with farmers on township roads who want to run a fence charger. Usually on 4x4 posts and not high enough, but no one says much because were all in this together.

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,214 Posts
I used the term "right-of-way" but it could be "easement" also... not sure technically which one it is. My experience was many years ago, rural community and private pole line. Had to run / install the poles closest to the road to the utility spec (back then it was Ontario Hydro, ESA did not exist yet), go under the road, then backup and continue the pole line.

It was not too big of an issue from a construction perspective because there were no ditches, sewers, gas lines, etc.

Not sure what you would be into in a more developed area or even a more developed road. Mine was an old country road out in the middle of nowhere.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
1,588 Posts
I think easement is the correct term but I'm not 1005 sure either.

Have you considered directional drilling?

·
Registered
608 Posts
You would need an easement if you went under. I highly doubt they would let you directional drill under a public road. Probably would have to rip up the road put the pipe in and then replace the road to their spec. The aerial trespass would likely be obliged to meet the same standard as hydro as far as pole height and location. I'm sure the department of highways has a written spec on their website.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
1,588 Posts
You would need an easement if you went under. I highly doubt they would let you directional drill under a public road. Probably would have to rip up the road put the pipe in and then replace the road to their spec. The aerial trespass would likely be obliged to meet the same standard as hydro as far as pole height and location. I'm sure the department of highways has a written spec on their website.
I'll bet a beer they would let you go under before over. I'm not even sure you would need an easement if you went deep enough.

·
Light Bender
plumber
5,932 Posts
There may be rules preventing separate lots from being powered with one service. I bet they will want separate services for each lot unless the two lots were zoned as one property from the municipality

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Lol. Then just blame it on the previous owner.

I know of at least one place where this was actually done. They pounded a conduit through from one side to the other.

·
Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm with this guy. Bury it and wait for them to figure it out.
For a client, this might work.

For us, the whole damn town shows up any time we do ANYTHING at these lots. Use our tractor to spread dirt? 10 people watching. Hire our cousin with a 40 ton excavator to landscape the place? Everyone is there taking photos and telling their friends. Heck, I'd be surprised if we could use a old fashioned shovel and not get word around we used one... but I digress. We might not need power at rhw other lot by the time we get the service installed for the primary location

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
1,595 Posts
Lol. Then just blame it on the previous owner.

I know of at least one place where this was actually done. They pounded a conduit through from one side to the other.
I can think of a place or two where the farmer type spoke to the neighbors about a road closure and did a quick trench across, conduit/culvert, and backfilled with creek gravel. Nobody saw or knows anything, still have that Scotch clan mentality here.

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,214 Posts
I think a lot of that still happens out here too. You see a lot of culverts being put in, some a little better then others. Most farmers were "jack-all-trades", the more modern farmer tends to be less so, especially with newer technology on the market. Even their tractors are more complicated then they used to be, much like our cars, lots of electronics and gadgets to make them comfortable.

Cheers
John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts