Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts
I do it for every cable I run closer than 6 ft from the scuttle hole. Like the light in the hallway 3 feet from that hole , sometimes the truss run the wrong way to go all the way around so you have to cut across the top of the truss cord. I look around the jobsite and grab some scrap and go to it.
Been a long while since I've seen it done but then again I haven't done much resi. I'm no romex roper.

We always drill and pull. It just seems like the right way to do it. Never really understood the running board idea other than you can't hang clothes on it. Which I have never really seen hurt a wire yet. Well maybe the old cloth covered ****.

We always drill and pull. It just seems like the right way to do it. Never really understood the running board idea other than you can't hang clothes on it. Which I have never really seen hurt a wire yet. Well maybe the old cloth covered ****.
I always look at the future. If someone wants to yank down the T bar and put in drywall, they have a mess to take care of. They're not going to call back the electrician who created the mess to begin with.

I agree, it just seems right.

I always look at the future. If someone wants to yank down the T bar and put in drywall, they have a mess to take care of. They're not going to call back the electrician who created the mess to begin with.

I agree, it just seems right.
I don't see where he said that he drills when a drop ceiling is being installed. I take it as him saying he drills instead of using running boards.

Chances are that if you're in a situation where wire is run on the bottom of joists and a drop ceiling is being installed, there's plumbing and gas lines on the bottom of the joists too. Any future remodel to install a hard ceiling is going to be done by framing down anyway, so trying to guess what someone will do 20 years down the road is pointless. If someone tells me that they are hanging a ceiling and wants me to wire the place, well the code says I can run the wire on the bottom of the joists, that's the quickest way to get paid.

Chances are that if you're in a situation where wire is run on the bottom of joists and a drop ceiling is being installed, there's plumbing and gas lines on the bottom of the joists too. Any future remodel to install a hard ceiling is going to be done by framing down anyway, so trying to guess what someone will do 20 years down the road is pointless. If someone tells me that they are hanging a ceiling and wants me to wire the place, well the code says I can run the wire on the bottom of the joists, that's the quickest way to get paid.
Yup saves a lot of drilling.:thumbsup:

I always look at the future. If someone wants to yank down the T bar and put in drywall, they have a mess to take care of. They're not going to call back the electrician who created the mess to begin.
So I'm just trying to understand this. The customer has an electrician do the work to finish their basement. The customer is happy with the work.

Then in a decade or two they decide to completely change the basement around, you are seriously trying to say that they wouldn't hire the same electrician because some of the wires might have to be moved? The same wires that were installed perfectly and correctly for the first renovation job?

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.