Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a renovation of a small retail building. Job specs were to be done cheaply as possible so thats what they got. Theres probably more violations than what i can think of: box fill, bundled cables, nothing stapled where it runs across the ceiling joists, but nothing of real concern imo. Anywhere there was a gap behind studs i used that instead of drilling holes. All home runs are 14/3 MWBC except kitchenette (12/3) and 12/2 for bath. Homeline panel... Passed inspection today :) Im sure a lot of you on here will say how wrong it is to not wire a commercial building with #12 mc minimum but everyones happy, i made good money on it, and i have no qualms about it not working

Attachments

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you guys not have a limit to how many cables in one hole?
Inspection here would blow a nut ,if I had a wad of cables through one hole like that.
that wouldnt fly alot of places. the inspector is pretty easy ive done a million things i should have failed for and hes never turned any of it down. no way i was drilling out enough holes to separate those cables properly

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Do you guys not have a limit to how many cables in one hole?
Inspection here would blow a nut ,if I had a wad of cables through one hole like that.
We do Hma, but then we also see almost every manufactured home pumping as many wires through a hole as can be fit

~CS~

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
It all looks good to me. I did an office remodel a few months back, and everything was Romex. Its no big deal. Romex works just as good as MC, which works just as good as pipe & wire. Making money and turning over fast jobs - thats where its at buddy.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It all looks good to me. I did an office remodel a few months back, and everything was Romex. Its no big deal. Romex works just as good as MC, which works just as good as pipe & wire. Making money and turning over fast jobs - thats where its at buddy.
Honestly it somehow feels wrong in a way. I always ran pipe and mc for this kinda thing when i was an employee.. but if i can get away with romex and plastic boxes then why not

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Honestly it somehow feels wrong in a way. I always ran pipe and mc for this kinda thing when i was an employee..
I think this is one of the great benefits of being self-employed, you can do these jobs however you like, as long as it passes code minimum.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Honestly it somehow feels wrong in a way. I always ran pipe and mc for this kinda thing when i was an employee.. but if i can get away with romex and plastic boxes then why not
No problem with the NMD up in Canada if she is wood frame. 14/2 all the time unless over 15 amps.

My work is much better(<< strike that, not better)/neater than yours. I drill holes, don't bundle, etc. The way it is. As you say you make more money tho.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
According to some study performed by Charles Manson family members in Death Valley,Ca. Bundled cables in the same hole will spontaneously combust in a exploding flame ball.
The CMP believes this as well as the existence of the Tooth Fairy.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Shockdoc said:
According to some study performed by Charles Manson family members in Death Valley,Ca. Bundled cables in the same hole will spontaneously combust in a exploding flame ball. The CMP believes this as well as the existence of the Tooth Fairy.
Seriously , they are ridiculous here for stupid stuff like that . Two wires under a staple..no . Four 14/2 wires through a 4" hole the plumber didn't use .. No. Zip ties as support for cables.. No. Bundling wires together with zip ties.. No. It just goes on and on. What ever happened to safety code? Because some idiot pushed to extremes. Stupid rules appear.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.