Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. I am not an electrician, but could use some advice. I don't see many forums via Google search that can answer my question, so perhaps someone here can help, or can perhaps direct me to an appropriate forum.

I'm a college student on clinical rotations. In about a month, I'll be going to stay in a rural area in Texas in the finished attic of a family's home. My problem is that per a classmate of mine, the attic only has 2-prong ungrounded outlets. I just build a pretty expensive computer, and was hoping to bring the computer to work on projects and such. I will not have access to the rest of the house, so I'm betting I won't be able to touch the circuit breaker. From what I understand, these are my options: either try to replace the 2-prong with a 3-prong outlet while the outlet is hot (assuming there's a ground wire in there), or don't use the outlet at all.

My question... if I bring a replacement 3-prong outlet with me and there isn't a third wire to connect it to, is there any safe way to plug a computer into a 2-prong outlet? Will any configuration of surge protector shield my computer from harm?

For what it's worth, I have replaced outlets before, but only when the circuit breaker was flipped off. I have also been shocked before and I think I could be careful enough to avoid it. I just want to prepare myself in case there isn't appropriate wiring in the attic. A month is a long time to stay in an attic without and form of entertainment. :)

Thanks for the help, and again, sorry for crashing the professional electrician forum.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,567 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.