Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

801 Posts
Safety Compliance Training

Please expand on this training. Is it available under contract for training the electrical industry in New England? Does this training include NFPA and OSHA presentations? How about the 10 and 30 hour OSHA training? Are there other similar programs offered in the New England areas? :thumbsup:

Can you recommend any available electrical safety training you have attended?

One last Question: Do you wear PPE?

· Retired Account
39,616 Posts
From a rural stance safety is probably the most ignored faction of the trades, albeit much lip service is involved, little else occurs. The certs for contractuals aren't often asked for, simply because there's little in the way of bureaucratic oversight to push any of it.

It is quite literally a 'don't ask, don't tell' scenario, where many of us where well on our way towards a masters w/o even so much as the knowledge that 70E exists.

Our insurance companies here run more compliance cert courses than any other entity, and rightly so ,as it seems they live our reality of being forsaken.

Pursuant to this, an anecdotal i'll share is doning a complete arc flash suit to meet the poco, and turn on some larger equipment. Keep in mind that my motives were also to present the apprentices with some level of proper PPE procedure.

The rep who met me, a man of nearly 1/2 century tenure and of impeccable credentials himself informed me he's never seen a local spaky in an arc suit

never!

As i age, i worry about those steppin' up to the plate. We just had a local apprentice suffer a serious shock last month, he was in intensive care for quite the spell.

This needs to change......

~CS~

· Registered
3,270 Posts
I went 15 yrs as a resi(5 yrs) commercial/industrial (6yrs) and then a mix befire i seen anyone use a cal suit!

A friend got flashed and gas skin grafts on his face

Now i wouldnt be caught dead without one!
I helped implement arc flash at last company i worked for.

The municipality i work fir has 1 suit.... 3 sparkies?

New suits and gear is ordered!!

I guess when u see it first hand u wake up!

· Registered
1,813 Posts
i dont mind the ppe if its required and needed
what i do mind is the twits who sneak up behind you to see what you are doing when you are in a panel.:censored::bangin:
the obvious brain farts they are having makes it unsafe for both them and the electrician working on the panel:cursing:

· Senior Moment
8,217 Posts
Most safety training is useless drivel spouted by safety consultants. They make their living repeating tired old cliches and handing out cheap pens. The time lost to these classes is horrendous without any empirical evidence to prove that sitting in a classroom for the day effects ancient rates.

801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Most safety training is useless drivel spouted by safety consultants. They make their living repeating tired old cliches and handing out cheap pens. The time lost to these classes is horrendous without any empirical evidence to prove that sitting in a classroom for the day effects ancient rates.
Please tell us more! What training program(s) are you talking about?

· Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,035 Posts
I can't speak for drsparky, but for me, the most effective safety training in the world is putting me to a task with someone who has done it who can explain the real-world pros and cons like an adult.

I can read out of books of regulations. Having someone stand in front of a class and do that doesn't improve my ability to work safely.

I also think that all management should be required to attend safety training, because very often the goals of poor managers (and there are a lot of them) are in direct conflict with ideal safe-work practices.

801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Not ignoring!

Back at you, my friend..:thumbsup:

Some of us figured out what you're up to, huh?:laughing:
I am not up to anything, I am just trying to share information! I am not ignoring you; or any of the other dozen or so keyboard (no real name) champions yet because your contributions and theirs are are very important; and I would't want to miss any of your words of wisdom. :laughing: I am pleased that you are able to share your vast expertise. Now let's try and spend our time wisely and avoid wasting time. :thumbup:

Adding your opinion here will be worth while so others in the field can see how much you can contribute.

· Retired Account
39,616 Posts
Joe,
while the wisdom of our trade elders is relevant and appreciated, (and i kinda hate to say it) perhaps taking any given apprenticeship class out and creating a good arc blast for them to witness 1st hand might be more effective curriculum.

Speaking as one of those who were lucky enough to walk away, i'd like to state the impression left me was rather moving....

~CS~

801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Joe,
while the wisdom of our trade elders is relevant and appreciated, (and i kinda hate to say it) perhaps taking any given apprenticeship class out and creating a good arc blast for them to witness 1st hand might be more effective curriculum.

Speaking as one of those who were lucky enough to walk away, i'd like to state the impression left me was rather moving....

~CS~
I attended a Seminar in St Louis years ago at the Gubany center, and they showed different types of Arc Flash and Blast's. It was a real eye opener. I have clips; when I find them I will post them. In the meantime there are many online; and a search in the YouTube area will show them, look for ARC Flash or ARC Blast. I would post images I have collected of crispy critters who were electrocuted while working on equipment that was energized (wearing no PPE) but will not because some may find them hard to deal with.

· Retired Account
39,616 Posts
You're free to post what is possibly macabre , if only to make a point Joe

I can't put you , or anyone else down for that

But please keep in mind some consider all fellow sparkies brothers

I do, even those union guys that sometimes get on my nerves here

In my view, those crispy critters are no less, they are not so much a personal failure , as a failure of the system they work within

Now that they can no longer speak, if they are to serve as example, please show them the proper respect in doing so

~CS~

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.