Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
Joined
·
39,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This video should be required viewing for anyone in the trade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wOJ7ekO5WY&feature=related

Although it shows a bunch of misfits doing something totally wrong, it clearly show how dangerous even a standard 120v receptacle can be.

Watch closely during the slow-mo, and you can see the hot, molten metal spray away from the arc, and by the time it is 4-5 feet away, the dumb kid hasn't even had time to notice, react and move away!

This reminds me of a video my fourth-year teacher showed us during class. It had an (former) electrician blinded by a screwdriver falling onto the lugs in some switchgear. He stated his last vision of this world was the screwdriver falling, he clearly saw the arc form, the metal melt, and blow right into his eyes. He made it very clear that not only does he vividly remember this image, but that he watched the whole event unfold because he didn't have time to close his eyes.
 

·
Town Drunk
Joined
·
3,725 Posts
What an idiot. I actually had to sign up so I could comment on it. :censored:
 

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
Joined
·
39,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'Idoit' should be plural. There's more than one in that vid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,879 Posts
Hell keep messing around until he catches some in the face, then his parents will want to sue someone and everyone.
 

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
Joined
·
39,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hell keep messing around until he catches some in the face, then his parents will want to sue someone and everyone.
Ain't that the truth!

They'll sue the electrician that wired the place. They'll sue the school for not providing security. They'll sue the lighting manufacturer because they made it so the kids could see. They'll sue the cord manufacturer because they didn't warn them about the dangers of cutting the end of the cord off. They'll sue Wiss for making the tin-snips used to strip the wire. They'll sue Sony becuase they made the video camera used to record the event. They'll sue the concrete contractor for providing the floor in the school. They'll sue Pass & Seymour for making metal plates electrically conductive. They'll sue the original brickmason because the wall is made of CMUs....
 

·
R.I.P. 2014
Joined
·
4,722 Posts
I spend a fair amount of time in schools and this is pretty common. The most common is trying to get a paper clip to fly out of an outlet. Most of the outlet I see in the halls are pretty marked up and or broken.
 

·
Town Drunk
Joined
·
3,725 Posts

·
Town Drunk
Joined
·
3,725 Posts
What an idiot. I actually had to sign up so I could comment on it. :censored:
My comment STILL isn't posted!

I guess "hahaha" is OK, but a comment about the stupidity of this isn't. :censored::censored:
 

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
Joined
·
39,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe your comment got lost in the thousands of others they get every day?
 

·
Town Drunk
Joined
·
3,725 Posts
Maybe your comment got lost in the thousands of others they get every day?
I don't know how such a well thought out, high-value comment could be lost...:whistling2:






:laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Sometimes I wish we lived in a country that would let the stupid people "naturally select" themselves out of existence.:blink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
My first experience with electricity as a youngin' was interesting to say the least... lol I found a cut off end of an old lamp and decided to run an experiment. I plugged the male plug end into the wall and stuck the other, cut end, into a huge glass bottle of change. It dangled about 6 inches above and managed to arc, and some how managed to magnetically attract a nickel to the cord end. Lol. I was amazed, but looking back, I realize how idiotic it was of me. I escaped unscathed, luckily :)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top