Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The company i work for has basically no safety equipment or anything. I think my big question here is when are you supposed to wear arc flash protection, and when do you actually wear it. Or do you not have any either. We rarely work on 600v but when we do we are just expected to be extra careful. I've seen some bad video's on flash burns and i don't particularity want to be that guy who is missing an eye and 4 fingers.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
The company i work for has basically no safety equipment or anything. I think my big question here is when are you supposed to wear arc flash protection, and when do you actually wear it. Or do you not have any either. We rarely work on 600v but when we do we are just expected to be extra careful. I've seen some bad video's on flash burns and i don't particularity want to be that guy who is missing an eye and 4 fingers.
Gee, would that be a non-union contractor your working for? Have toolbox safety meetings weekly at your shop?
Ever have an OSHA or safety engineer come out on a job? You only get one life, are you willing to lose it for a cheapo boss? Look at it from your famlies point of view. Have kids? Want to see them grow up?

·
Banned
11,885 Posts
Gee, would that be a non-union contractor your working for? Have toolbox safety meetings weekly at your shop?
Ever have an OSHA or safety engineer come out on a job? You only get one life, are you willing to lose it for a cheapo boss? Look at it from your famlies point of view. Have kids? Want to see them grow up?
Boy, you sure love to hump that union vs. non-union tree at every turn don't you?

InPhase277

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
To do what?
Get the point across. We all need to work smarter and not harder, while being safety conscience at the same time.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
So what does working for a non-union shop (your assumption, not mine) have to do with it?
In my area the guys I know that aren't union laugh if I mention a safety meeting or anything like it. Maybe it isn't like that by you but it is here. Even guys in the FD, take safety as a joke.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
In my area the guys I know that aren't union laugh if I mention a safety meeting or anything like it. Maybe it isn't like that by you but it is here. Even guys in the FD, take safety as a joke.
You paint with a very wide brush then. I've worked for several non-union shops in the past that were (pardon my French) quite anal about safety.

One in particular wrote me up for two safety violations in one fell swoop. I walked up to the job table that had the prints, and took off my hard hat and safety glasses so I could wipe the 4 gallons of sweat off my face just to be able to read the prints (it was over 100°F that day), and I got written up for not having my hard had and safety glasses on. No ifs, ands or buts.

Are there some Merit shops that don't give a tinkers' d**n about safety? You bet your sweet bippy. But don't lump them all together. Being, or not being union has absolutely nothing to do with company policy about safety.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
You paint with a very wide brush then. I've worked for several non-union shops in the past that were (pardon my French) quite anal about safety.

One in particular wrote me up for two safety violations in one fell swoop. I walked up to the job table that had the prints, and took off my hard hat and safety glasses so I could wipe the 4 gallons of sweat off my face just to be able to read the prints (it was over 100°F that day), and I got written up for not having my hard had and safety glasses on. No ifs, ands or buts.

Are there some Merit shops that don't give a tinkers' d**n about safety? You bet your sweet bippy. But don't lump them all together. Being, or not being union has absolutely nothing to do with company policy about safety.

Gee all I did was ask the guy if it was a non-union shop.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
Gee all I did was ask the guy if it was a non-union shop.:rolleyes:
That's the problem though. EVERYTHING is a union/non-union argument with you (and DVR, Lawn Guy and others). The lot of you seem like a bunch of BA's trying to convince the rest of the world that your way of thinking is better, regardless of the other person's views.
Regardless of the topic you turn it around and bring this discussion into it. It REALLY IS getting tiring!

Some of us don't want what you have. Period. Accept it.

I see this mentality with politics, religion, etc. A few guys always going off about how everyone else is wrong and why.
I don't like it with political and religious discussions and I don't like it with this. Which is why I TRY to stay out of it. Sometimes I just can't keep my mouth (fingers) shut though. :censored:

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
That's the problem though. EVERYTHING is a union/non-union argument with you (and DVR, Lawn Guy and others). The lot of you seem like a bunch of BA's trying to convince the rest of the world that your way of thinking is better, regardless of the other person's views.
Regardless of the topic you turn it around and bring this discussion into it. It REALLY IS getting tiring!

Some of us don't want what you have. Period. Accept it.

I see this mentality with politics, religion, etc. A few guys always going off about how everyone else is wrong and why.
I don't like it with political and religious discussions and I don't like it with this. Which is why I TRY to stay out of it. Sometimes I just can't keep my mouth (fingers) shut though. :censored:
Lighten up and relax it's the weekend.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Threewire, I don't have the answers to your questions at my fingertips, but they are VERY important questions (especially if your employer can't answer them). I would encourage you to get in contact with the appropriate local authority (anonymously if you fear that your employer would frown upon it) to get full answers to all of your safety questions. Be warned, the answers you get might scare the hell out of you, and might also make you feel that your fellow employees deserve to know these answers also. Remember, we only get one mistake and no more chances after that. We have the legal RIGHT to refuse to perform a duty that our employer assigns us if a reasonable person with proper training would deem the assignment unsafe. And ultimately we are the only ones responsible for our own safety. Employers can have the best safety program ever devised and implemented, but if they aren't there to physically restrain us from doing something that goes against our training, then, in my opinion, it is our fault if we get hurt. Receiving and always following proper training are the keys to avoiding injuries.
Wow...sorry about the soapbox rant guys. I was a carpenters union steward for 10 years and all that union/non-union safety talk got me kind of riled up.

·
Registered
32,967 Posts
RANDOM READ YOUR POST AND UNDERSTAND:

In my area

IN MY AREA....it is not that way everywhere I see union and open shops doing horrific electrical practices and I see union and open shops doing the right thing.

IT IS NOT ALL UNION VS OPEN SHOP.

It is good you are union, it is good you work for a good high quality contractor, it is good you are a top notch union member and employee. BUt it is not always that way.

I respect your post, I respect your knowledge, but

GAWD you sound like a TIRED broken record.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.