Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
A good start

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034

And

Remember, people do not care about you or you family, they care about themselves and their family. If you discuss personal stuff ask about their life and keep your life chatter to a minimum.

People prefer a friendly OK electrician to the most knowledgable A-hole.

·
Estwing magic
27,537 Posts
I have lots of tips but here are a few:

Don't say, "To be honest...". That just tells the customer that the rest of the time you're talking you're being dishonest.

Ask questions. We are in the business of satisfying needs and wants. You can't satisfy those needs and wants if you don't know what they are.

Project your voice but don't yell. Look your customer in the eye frequently. This indicates confidence. Don't consistently be talking to the floor, wall or ceiling.

If you're talking to a husband and wife, converse with both of them.

If you run into a disagreement, blame it on a third party. I like to use inspectors sometimes, saying, "The inspector won't let me do that" or "This is what the code book says".

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
offer big ticket items

whole house device replacement

panel changes. panel tune ups

lighting packages

multiple branch circuit microwave and other load you see that are overloaded
What do you do for a panel tune up? Set the correct torque values?

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Act like you're trimming the panel on the initial install. Re-torque, re-tag, split double taps, trim excess wire, check lock nuts, legibly rewrite schedule (re-tracing extra), vacuum, etc.
Add-ons:
Check for adequate grounding
Re-trace schedule
Surge suppression device(s)

A Panel Restoration is a great money maker, it generally doesn't take any new material, so you're selling your labor. You really shouldn't have much trouble.

Edit: anytime you "need" to open a panel you should be selling this to your customers. Walk him/her down and show them exactly what you're going to do. "ALWAYS BE CLOSING" ~Glengarry Glen Ross

Anybody can sell a receptacle or light fixture. Where you'll make money and build your reputation is on the services you can provide. You're better than the next guy because of your expertise, scheduling flexibility, services provided, warranties, and your professionalism.

Don't let anybody tell you differently.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Act like you're trimming the panel on the initial install. Re-torque, re-tag, split double taps, trim excess wire, check lock nuts, legibly rewrite schedule (re-tracing extra), vacuum, etc.
Add-ons:
Re-trace schedule

A Panel Restoration is a great money maker, it generally doesn't take any new material, so you're selling your labor. You really shouldn't have much trouble.

Edit: anytime you "need" to open a panel you should be selling this to your customers. Walk him/her down and show them exactly what you're going to do. "ALWAYS BE CLOSING" ~Glengarry Glen Ross

Anybody can sell a receptacle or light fixture. Where you'll make money and build your reputation is on the services you can provide. You're better than the next guy because of your expertise, scheduling flexibility, services provided, warranties, and your professionalism.

Okay, sounds good. Now how do you flat rate it? 2.5 labor hours?

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Add-ons:
Re-trace schedule

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Win the OP's confidence. If you spot problems, bring it to their attention.

Point out code violations in the methods used. If the previous crew did it wrong on the first five looks..they probably did it wrong everywhere.

Ask if they want them corrected as you find problems..get authorization in writing for T & M. Take pictures and save failed components.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
panel inspection tune up:

inspect buss

check breakers

reconnect, re torque wires

dress aluminum wires

id circuits on list of door

inspection of panel components

code violations

take before and after pictures

Etc., we charge 175 per.

if you think its BS don't bother, you're the one asking for sales techniques.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lep said:
panel inspection tune up: inspect buss check breakers reconnect, re torque wires dress aluminum wires id circuits on list of door inspection of panel components code violations take before and after pictures Etc., we charge 175 per. if you think its BS don't bother, you're the one asking for sales techniques.
I haven't yet called bullish. I'm totally on the panel tune up wagon right. Thanks for the information, seriously.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
I haven't yet called bullish. I'm totally on the panel tune up wagon right. Thanks for the information, seriously.
I'd say electrician is almost compelled to look in those panels, are you going to know what condition panel is in without at least take a look.

but some guys like to change a light bulb and then run out front door call it good

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lep said:
I'd say electrician is almost compelled to look in those panels, are you going to know what condition panel is in without at least take a look. but some guys like to change a light bulb and then run out front door call it good
I open the panel 98% of the time. Just never thought about the tune up. It's the perfect sale to a tough customer who won't pay for a full change.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
I open the panel 98% of the time. Just never thought about the tune up. It's the perfect sale to a tough customer who won't pay for a full change.
If they won't pay for a full change, does it even need to be changed? If it needs to be changed, change it. If it doesn't, and the panel is just messy, then why? If it ain't broke, then why fix it?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.