Electrician Talk banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
That isn't talking about shields. It is talking about the amour on armoured cable.
Trust me when I tell you that the CEC is convoluted and hard to understand at the best of times.

That is why I outlined part 5 of rule 36-104 which specifically directs you to 10-304 part 2

From 36-104

(5) Subject to Rule 10-304, metal sheaths, shielding, armour, conduit, and fittings shall be bonded together

and connected to ground.

Rule 10-304 is in my previous post.

After 20+ yrs of experience I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt......we don't terminate both ends and the interpretation is that it is a code violation to do so.
In fact.....if I had the CEC handbook in a digital version, I remember the clarification for this rule and it specifically states that interpretation in there as well.​

Reactions: glen1971

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I have never seen, and certainly never installed, shielded MV cables without the shield grounded at both ends and at any splices or taps in between. As for stray current flowing on the shield - big deal. Most cables used today have shields rated as EGC's anyway (I still pull a separate ground, though). Would you not bond an enclosure with splices in it in a 600V system for fear that your ground wire might be inadvertently carrying stray current? As someone said earlier, if you have enough current flowing on the cable shield to damage the conductor insulation, you have big problems lurking somewhere.
Im not saying you're wrong.....or anyone else is wrong for that matter:no: I'm just saying what is done in my neck of the woods and why we do it that way.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Rollie73 said:
Trust me when I tell you that the CEC is convoluted and hard to understand at the best of times.

That is why I outlined part 5 of rule 36-104 which specifically directs you to 10-304 part 2

From 36-104

(5) Subject to Rule 10-304, metal sheaths, shielding, armour, conduit, and fittings shall be bonded together

and connected to ground.

Rule 10-304 is in my previous post.

After 20+ yrs of experience I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt......we don't terminate both ends and the interpretation is that it is a code violation to do so.
In fact.....if I had the CEC handbook in a digital version, I remember the clarification for this rule and it specifically states that interpretation in there as well.
I appreciate you clarifying that and will take your word on the interpretation as you would certainly know more about the CEC than I. It seems strange to me that our codes, which seem to be generally pretty harmonious, would be at odds on something as commonplace as this.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I appreciate you clarifying that and will take your word on the interpretation as you would certainly know more about the CEC than I. It seems strange to me that our codes, which seem to be generally pretty harmonious, would be at odds on something as commonplace as this.
I find it odd as well especially seeing as how don_reqcapt19 posted manufactures instructions which are contrary to the CEC.

Its got me wondering now and I'm going to bring it up at the seminar next month for the new 2015 CEC.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Always been told they are grounded at one end only to eliminate circulating sheath currents, the same way single conductors are dealt with...

In MV cables with typical runs the amount of circulating current is small, at most enough to require a current carrying capacity adjustment, but nothing more than that. We are talking amperes.

Now if the cable is traveling for many, many miles, or your talking about medium to long runs (again miles) of HV and EHV underground transmission cables the shields are often transposed between phases or connected to normally open surge arrestors at one point. Though more complex and poorer from a voltage stress point, the reasoning is to cut back on hundreds if not thousands of amperes of induced circulating currents on the cable jackets which limit real current capacity (from a thermal standpoint) and create large amounts of reactive capacitive current.

Of course in HVDC this does not have to be done.​
But again, outside of large utility projects its generally not a concern.​
We don't bond them at both ends:no: In fact....its a violation of the CEC​

What is the reasoning behind that? Of course Im sure the CEC is correct, but just new to me.

The power company uses the shield as the grounded conductor.

They do, however the shields in utility cables used as grounded conductors are designed for such. They often will have concentric wires around the shields, and cables can be ordered with a concentric neutral equivalent to the hot conductor in size for single phase circuits or a reduced 1/3 size for 3 phase circuits where 3 cables are paired together.

The POCO can do whatever it wants:rolleyes: Amazing what they get away with.

I agree POCOs do some incredibly stupid and dangerous stuff (Ive seen lawn sprinklers used to cool overload transformers:eek:) but the cables POCOs use are designed with a shield that either full sized or 1/3 the size of the phase conductor.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
What is the reasoning behind that? Of course Im sure the CEC is correct, but just new to me.
The reasoning is to eliminate the possibility of any current flow on the shielding.

I'm no longer so sure the CEC is right after reading all the other info you guys are posting here. We could be doing it wrong here:laughing:

As I said though....I will pose some questions at the seminar.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Directly from Okonite's website:

Grounding Shielded Cable
When installing shielded cable, metallic shielding must be solidly grounded. Where conductors are individually shielded, each must have its shielding grounded and the shielding of each conductor should be carried across every joint to assure positive continuity of a shielding from one end of the cable to the other. Where grounding conductors are part of the cable assembly, they must be connected with the shielding at both ends of the cable.
For safe and effective operation, the shielding should be grounded at each end of the cable and at each splice. For short lengths or where special bonding arrangements are used, grounding at one point only may be satisfactory.

http://okonite.com/engineering/shielding.html

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Directly from Okonite's website:

Grounding Shielded Cable
When installing shielded cable, metallic shielding must be solidly grounded. Where conductors are individually shielded, each must have its shielding grounded and the shielding of each conductor should be carried across every joint to assure positive continuity of a shielding from one end of the cable to the other. Where grounding conductors are part of the cable assembly, they must be connected with the shielding at both ends of the cable.
For safe and effective operation, the shielding should be grounded at each end of the cable and at each splice. For short lengths or where special bonding arrangements are used, grounding at one point only may be satisfactory.

http://okonite.com/engineering/shielding.html
don_resqcapt19 already posted this info. He beat you to it.:laughing:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Rollie - If you find out a definite answer can you please post.. I'm curious as there must be someone on the CEC that knows.. Unfortunately, the chair of Section 36 is from BC Hydro, but there are a few other members that are in other areas..

I did a bunch of googling and reading this afternoon and the consensus of the majority of the sites I found (US based) did say that both ends and each splice should be grounded.. I did find a couple manufacturer sites that said only one end.. A couple of those referenced a 2011 NEC article, but naturally I didn't save the link...

·
AKA Luketrician
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
really appreciate everyones input here, been a great read for me.

The cables in question run approx 40 feet, up to a 1750 hp hitachi synchronous motor. Supply cables run from the gear, approximately 1000 feet to a step down TX, 6.9kV to 480, to feed the exciter cabinet...from there off of H1 H2 H3, a parallel run goes up to the motor termination j/b. I know that both ends of that long run have the shields grounded at both ends.

The 40 run up to the motor is grounded at the TX side, just not at the J/B.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
The NEC just requires that the shield be grounded, but does not specify that it be grounded at a single or multiple locations.

There is a rule in the 2011 code that says you may have to adjust the ampacity of a shielded conductor where the shielded is bonded at multiple points. This is because any current flow in the shield will produce some additional heat and that will add to the heat of the conductor itself and may require an ampacity adjustment.
310.60(B)(1) Grounded Shields. Ampacities shown in Table 310.60(C)(69), Table 310.60(C)(70), Table 310.60(C)(81), and Table 310.60(C)(82) are for cable with shields grounded at one point only. Where shields are grounded at more than one point, ampacities shall be adjusted to take into consideration the heating due to shield currents.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Glen.....as soon as I find a definite answer, I will be sure to post it up here. I did speak with one inspector a bit about today and he really wasn't able to shed any light on the situation because he was primarily a residential guy before going into inspections He had actually forgotten all about shielding on MV cables.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts