Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all.

I've read through the first dozen or so pages in the introductions forum to ensure I'm not about to ask a bunch of annoying commonly asked questions. Hopefully I've done enough due diligence.

Introductions...

I've just turned 31 and I've dabbled in a lot of pretty varied careers, starting around health care and most recently ending with programming. I've flirted with the idea of going into electrical work for years. I feel like I'm at the point where I want to settle down and have a career in earnest now and I believe this is it. I've done a lot of DIY work around the house, was a technician(sonar) in the Navy, have always been good at troubleshooting and love working with my hands building/fixing things.

From what I've researched so far, industrial work seems the most interesting to me. There happens to be an Industrial Electricity/Electronics diploma & degree program at a nearby Tech school. Additionally, they also have an Electronics Engineering Technology associates program which seems more geared toward PLC/Instrumentation/Production. I've had equal amounts of fun both tinkering with servos and microcontrollers in my spare time as well as installing subpanels and AC motors. I'm really not sure which program would be better for me or employment opportunities. The engineering tech degree seems like it might pigeon hole me as a bench tech (which isn't a problem I'm just concerned about job availability [girlfriend can't relocate right now]) and the industrial degree doesn't seem like it goes far enough beyond wiring switches to dc motors.

I'm excited about the idea of taking these classes but not looking forward to the financial strain of going to school yet again. I want to make sure it's worth the money and, more importantly, the time. I guess it would get Sallie Mae off my back for a while though.

I'm also currently talking to both the National Army and Air Guard. My hope is that I can get a good, applicable MOS/Specialty that will aid in employment and I can use the tuition assistance since I've burned through my GI Bill.

Thoughts? Advice? Flames?

Thanks all. I've enjoyed reading through your forum. There are some good laughs to be had at some the sniping... lovable ribbing that takes place here. I really hope all this is coherent. It's almost 5AM.

Edit: Oh, does anyone work in/around South carolina? The IBEW page here doesn't provide much information.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hello all.

I've read through the first dozen or so pages in the introductions forum to ensure I'm not about to ask a bunch of annoying commonly asked questions. Hopefully I've done enough due diligence.

Introductions...

I've just turned 31 and I've dabbled in a lot of pretty varied careers, starting around health care and most recently ending with programming. I've flirted with the idea of going into electrical work for years. I feel like I'm at the point where I want to settle down and have a career in earnest now and I believe this is it. I've done a lot of DIY work around the house, was a technician(sonar) in the Navy, have always been good at troubleshooting and love working with my hands building/fixing things.

From what I've researched so far, industrial work seems the most interesting to me. There happens to be an Industrial Electricity/Electronics diploma & degree program at a nearby Tech school. Additionally, they also have an Electronics Engineering Technology associates program which seems more geared toward PLC/Instrumentation/Production. I've had equal amounts of fun both tinkering with servos and microcontrollers in my spare time as well as installing subpanels and AC motors. I'm really not sure which program would be better for me or employment opportunities. The engineering tech degree seems like it might pigeon hole me as a bench tech (which isn't a problem I'm just concerned about job availability [girlfriend can't relocate right now]) and the industrial degree doesn't seem like it goes far enough beyond wiring switches to dc motors.

I'm excited about the idea of taking these classes but not looking forward to the financial strain of going to school yet again. I want to make sure it's worth the money and, more importantly, the time. I guess it would get Sallie Mae off my back for a while though.

I'm also currently talking to both the National Army and Air Guard. My hope is that I can get a good, applicable MOS/Specialty that will aid in employment and I can use the tuition assistance since I've burned through my GI Bill.

Thoughts? Advice? Flames?

Thanks all. I've enjoyed reading through your forum. There are some good laughs to be had at some the sniping... lovable ribbing that takes place here. I really hope all this is coherent. It's almost 5AM.

Edit: Oh, does anyone work in/around South carolina? The IBEW page here doesn't provide much information.
In my opinion, industrial electricity/electronics will never become obsolete. Choose a course that will help you get rooted in ladder logic, AC/DC theory and PLC programming and troubleshooting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Shipwreck
I am in SC in the upstate. I would suggest Mechatronics if it is available to you? Please contact me at yahoo or my site If I can help you in some way to become an electrician. I have some materials i can share with you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again all for the welcome messages.

JuMar, I'd like to fire some questions your way if you don't mind. I'll send you an email via your yahoo account.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts