Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Master Electrician
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have two small water supply upgrade jobs coming up, both involving control panels with Schneider SCADAPack 357 PLCs. Both systems are pretty basic and over engineered IMO, and could be done easily without a PLC. However, I've long wanted to get into control systems and I think this is a good opportunity to get some needed experience under my belt.

Any advice or online resources?

Thanks

·
Registered
Master Electrician
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you doing the design and programming or is everything prepared and ready to install?
The systems have both been designed / engineered, I'm getting a control panel builder to build them as they are required to be CSA certified. I will be installing and programming the systems.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey Guys,

I have two small water supply upgrade jobs coming up, both involving control panels with Schneider SCADAPack 357 PLCs. Both systems are pretty basic and over engineered IMO, and could be done easily without a PLC. However, I've long wanted to get into control systems and I think this is a good opportunity to get some needed experience under my belt.

Any advice or online resources?

Thanks
I have done work in SCADA. I actually have a SCADAPac in my home lab, along with 5 other PLC's. I am a 309a that went into PLC programming 6 years ago. What do you need help with?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Should mention as well that most of these systems are done with PLC's so they can collect data and send over ethernet or cellular for collection into a server database. They need to store this data for government regulations. A bit harder to do with just relays and contactors.

·
Registered
Master Electrician
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have done work in SCADA. I actually have a SCADAPac in my home lab, along with 5 other PLC's. I am a 309a that went into PLC programming 6 years ago. What do you need help with?
I will have better questions as I get deeper into this, my biggest questions now are regarding software. What software do you use for programming?

·
Registered
Master Electrician
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should mention as well that most of these systems are done with PLC's so they can collect data and send over ethernet or cellular for collection into a server database. They need to store this data for government regulations. A bit harder to do with just relays and contactors.
Good point I hadn't thought of that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I will have better questions as I get deeper into this, my biggest questions now are regarding software. What software do you use for programming?
You can use Telepace Studio which can be downloaded here.

More information can be found here.

I have a SCADAPack 32 that I am willing to depart with for a small fee if your interested.

·
Registered
Master Electrician
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can use Telepace Studio which can be downloaded here.

More information can be found here.

I have a SCADAPack 32 that I am willing to depart with for a small fee if your interested.
Thanks, I will keep your SCADAPack 32 in mind. I've already purchased what I need for these jobs but I'm sure I could use it in the future.

·
Registered
Journeyman Instrumentation Technician & First Year Electrical Apprentice
17 Posts
I have run into both Telepace and ISaGRAF software being used on SCADAPack.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,362 Posts
Have you done any PLC programming yet?
If not some thing to do are .
1. Write out your operation first on paper as a control narrative such as If I push this, then It will do this, and I stop it by this or that.
2. Ask those involved if this is what they want.
3. Keep it simple and stupid program wise.
4. Document, Document , Document.

As you go on you will have many questions don't be afraid to ask them, many good guys on here. Most times someone will take the lead ( looks like @mr_electrician will take this lead, thanks ) and the reset will watch so not too many people lead you around. We will add as needed.
Good luck this is the way to learn.

Cowboy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts