Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten almost the same text from different numbers a few times:
Yesterday:
"hello i do like to know if you do electrical wiring replacement and if you do accept credit card for payment ??"

(I've gotten this one 5-6 times over the past 6 months)

This Morning:
"hello, i'm Adrian, i will like to know if you do electrical maintenance and if you do accept credit card as a form of payment?"

(I've gotten this 3 times in the past 6 months)

How can they be scamming me? Do they run a "referral service", collect from customers and then keep the money while I work for free? The customer wouldn't complain if they paid and got the service...

Thoughts?

Here is an interesting dialogue... :D :D :D This is this morning...

Phone: "hello i do like to know if you do electrical wiring replacement and if you do accept credit card for payment ??"

Me: "You should call me if you would like to discuss this."

Phone: "hello i am an hearing inpaired"

Me: "Okay, to be honest, I can't take on any big jobs right now. But there is something else I would like to ask you. I have gotten nearly exactly same message many times on my cell phone from different phone numbers. In fact I got one this morning. Are you working for a referral service? Or did you fill out a web form from a referral service and they are just sending me the same generic message each time? If so, could you tell me the name of the website? I'd like to see if I have a profile there or something..."

Phone: "hello what do you mean"

Me: "How did you find me to contact me?"

Phone: "don t stress me with that forward me your address am coming as soon as possible i dont like insult do you understand."

Phone: "hello. are you there?"

Now I'm scared. Someone is going to fly from China just to confront me. I mean, if it was me, I wouldn't go all the way to China to deliver a box of candies...

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
There was a thread a few months ago about this same scam. It included transcription of the dialogue between sparky and scammer.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
I got this one:

5/9/2015
Hi, My name is Mr kev kari .. I'll like to know if you render Electric service and if you do accept Credit card as a form of Payment? Please do provide me with your shop address,Please kindly reply me here to my private email address [B]**omitted email**[/B] Thanks awaiting your email asap.

I received this via Angie's List email service. Then a few days later I received a letter from AL saying that it is indeed a scam. The perpetrator asks you to over charge them in advance by credit card, then write them a check back for the overage. It's obviously a stolen card.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes, I've gotten these same texts several times from different numbers.
The first time I asked them to call and they said they were hearing impaired.
So I said I would meet them somewhere then they replied that they were in the hospital in critical condition.
I did not reply and blocked the number and continue to block them every time I get another text.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
To find out what's going on, you need to pretend to bite. Say yes, and see if their next line is something like "here is where the work is, here is my CC#, please charge $2000.00 more than the actual cost and send the difference immediately to..."
I got the same text and I responded yes to doing the work. I even asked for an address and they provided one. I searched for the property records and this came back:

SLAYTON RONALD E
9222 LANDWOOD DR
HOUSTON TX 77040-4722

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I always respond because it's close enough to a real email. Many get lost with asking their address, phone number and project. One that went to the end was a request for advance payment with me sending an overpayment refund via Western Union. My understanding is that this scam has worked so well there is a Jamaican song about it.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
My latest reply to one of these emails :

Thank you for the opportunity to bid. I calculate it will cost you $68,475 to complete the electrical portion of our project. I will require a deposit of $12,000 to accompany a signed contract.

Please provide me a complete set of architectural drawing and a specifications book for submittal to the AHJ for plan review.

I will also require a current schedule for the project.*

In addition, I did note several Code violations, ineffeciencies and poor planning techniques. *I offer Value Engineering services for $2,500 for a project of this size. Typical ROI is $8,000.

Please let me know if this is the proper email to send my final contract documents to, and if not let me know who is authorized by your company to sign contracts.

Please note that time will be of the essence as many of the lighting components are special order items which may have long lead times.

Again, thank you for the opportunity to bid on this project and I look forward to working with you on it and seeing a successful completion.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
I got one of these a while back.

Tried to call the number. A recording told me that didn't accept voice calls.

I told them via text I charge $1000 just to show up, due immediately via money wire.

They stopped texting.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
We get them all the time. I like the one where they are laying in a hospital bed and can't meet you at the project address but they will pay you in advance with a credit card.
I got that one the other day
:(

·
Registered
241 Posts
Got this one at 3 AM. They filled out the "request service" form on my website. Of course the company address and phone number are right there on the webpage.

Greetings to you and how are you doing today, Are you the Owner or the General manager of the Company and I am Daniel Anderson and i am hearing impairing someone so i prefer will communicate via email for now. kindly let me know if you do ELECTRICAL WIRING and please respond asap so we can communicate via email or you send your cell number for a better communication too and kindly let me know if you accept credit card for payment transaction and if there is anything you want to ask me about kindly text me at (504) 345-8492 or email me at([email protected]) as asap okay ...

And here is the Information Require from you :

Your full name...
Company Address...
Company Phone Number..
Your Cellphone Number..
And what is your position in the Company:

Thanks for your cooperation
Daniel Anderson

·
Registered
5 Posts
We get them as well. Had about a dozen in the last two months. Bit after about the 4th one, and corresponded via email provided via their text message and was given a sob story the 1st time about being sick & in the hospital, but wanted to upgrade to a 20 amp panel at "their" recently purchased residence. However, before we could get the keys they asked that we accept credit card payment and then wire the money to their "realtor," who would then provide the keys. Told them we didn't need the keys to change the panel, and that was the last we heard of them...

Few days later, same song and dance, but this time the "customer" was on a cruise ship, and was hoping we would accept payment so work could be completed before they arrived back in the Bay area. THEN, we were told a story of having blown through their cash and wanting us to send them a few thousand bucks till they arrived back home, and would send us a little extra AFTER we sent them the money requested...

I did a little digging after receiving a name of their "realtor" when I played along and found them residing in Indiana, a lot farther away than the San Jose service address initially given. Definitely a scam. Glad we aren't the only ones being targeted.

Think I still have a credit card authorization form around the office, with the contact info. If I think of it I'll post.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts