Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lived for 2 years in a duplex townhouse. The landlord refused the tenants access to the breaker boxes, as they were "in her boyfriend's workshop".

I eventually found a way in and discovered why they were hidden:

I later discovered that some of the other tenant's circuits were wired into the panel I was paying for. Actually, the utility company told me, and said they'd been after the landlord for years but couldnt get her to comply.

I moved out and sued her.

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
Also, i bet i know where the "boyfriend" is gett'n juice for his Ryobi's.

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
824 Posts
Refusing access to a electrical panel serving another tenant's property is illegal in UT. Check with a lawyer and sue the :censored: out of the landlord. :laughing:

·
Florida resident
3,898 Posts
I lived for 2 years in a duplex townhouse. The landlord refused the tenants access to the breaker boxes, as they were "in her boyfriend's workshop".

I eventually found a way in and discovered why they were hidden:

I later discovered that some of the other tenant's circuits were wired into the panel I was paying for. Actually, the utility company told me, and said they'd been after the landlord for years but couldnt get her to comply.

I moved out and sued her.
they are not terrible, you should trade some rent for cleaning them up , three hours of work

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Never ever rent... Ever!!!

Dealing with a landlord is one of the worst experiences as is working for them. The things I have seen slum lords do...:censored:

One time I encountered the same thing. Tenants were paying for all the landlords pools, lights, laundry. Landord chewed me out and refused to fix it. Found some illegals installed a panel tapping off the service disconnect in a cold sequence configuration. POCO got a few pics:whistling2:

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Dealing with a landlord is one of the worst experiences as is working for them. The things I have seen slum lords do...:censored:

One time I encountered the same thing. Tenants were paying for all the landlords pools, lights, laundry. Landord chewed me out and refused to fix it. Found some illegals installed a panel tapping off the service disconnect in a cold sequence configuration. POCO got a few pics:whistling2:
No question that landlords are NOT my target customers. They always want everything cheap, cheap, cheap, and then they're slow to pay. Who the hell wants to work with that? :no: Like the guy who called me on a Sunday morning two weeks ago that needed me "right away" to fix something for a tenant at some property I had work at before and I'm still waiting for the check!! :censored:

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Havent lived there in years. When I discovered the issues I contacted the landlord, expecting to work out an arrangement to repair it. Instead I got hostility. Apparently they had been dodging the local inspectors and utility company for years. Landlord's boyfriend had some sort of handyman business, you can imagine the rest.

I ended up suing and winning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts