Electrician Talk banner

Are you a professional Electrician?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I am in search of peeps who are well aware of the Schneider Tesys U series module. actually, I want to replace my conventional circuitry scheme with this smart option.
do let me know if any of you guys familiar or user.

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
1,727 Posts
Looks interesting until you get to the part where you realize it is a 45 mm 35 A contactor with an adapter and an electronic overload but the disconnect is separate.

So starting with the “smart” PLC stuff this is a huge trap. What happens when the product becomes discontinued and one of your modules fails? What is your upgrade path? It’s a dead end without ripping out all of them. Plus PLC reprogramming. Modicon discontinues PLC lines all the time as an example. So then your smart functions become very dumb. Plus you end up with a CPU, power supply, and comma in every starter. Your IO costs skyrocket for what amounts to a couple discrete IOd and a few minutes to wire.

Second there is the fact that it’s 35 A. You are way oversized and overpriced on small motors. And limited to 10-20 HP on the high end. So no hydraulic units, large pumps, etc. So in most jobs it’s maybe a 50% solution.

Then we get to that pesky disconnect: it’s a very American approach. Don’t get me wrong I’m an American.

The alternative is very European. As Americans we need to recognize that putting the overload on the load side is just historical convention. The Euros have a superior idea.

I’m going to start by saying most of the starters these days are built in Spain or South Korea (LSIS) or Poland (Sprecher & Schuh) then labeled with any of over a dozen names. They have standardized interchangeable widths. The overload relay is integrated into the manual motor starter. It is bimetallic so not full MCU range but almost 2:1 adjustment. Then you bolt on an adapter and contactor for automatic control. All kinds of contacts, remote reset, shunt trip/close available. They are interchangeable so different models, makes, and vintages are no problem. And it’s even more compact since it is a complete starter.

And since everybody has one the prices are very competitive,

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,381 Posts
My thoughts are the more complex the harder it is to fix.
Bells and whistles are not needed in motor starters, maintenance maintains them and changes them out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts