Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was selected to take a test for the position of Electrician with Bonita Unified School District in San Dimas, CA, on Thursday. I'm not sure what to expect. All the email said was that it will take an hour and that I should bring a calculator.

Has anybody taken a test like this? What kind of questions should I be expecting? What do I need to brush up on? I got my journeyman's license in 2009, so it's been awhile since I've had to take a test. I'm really nervous! Any help is appreciated!

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
The calculator is a coy, a jailbait 17 yr old student will approach you in a provocative manner, your reaction will b recorded and rated by the proctors.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Inland Emperor said:
I was selected to take a test for the position of Electrician with Bonita Unified School District in San Dimas, CA, on Thursday. I'm not sure what to expect. All the email said was that it will take an hour and that I should bring a calculator. Has anybody taken a test like this? What kind of questions should I be expecting? What do I need to brush up on? I got my journeyman's license in 2009, so it's been awhile since I've had to take a test. I'm really nervous! Any help is appreciated!
I have and currently work for a school district. Most questions were drawing standard motor control circuits, what series and parallel circuits are, types of fittings, boxes, voltage drop calculations, three phase and single phase calculations, etc. no calculator, but that was 6 years ago lol If you know mainly the standard material and theory you will be fine. There was some low voltage stuff fire alarm and data but not much.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Inland Emperor said:
I was selected to take a test for the position of Electrician with Bonita Unified School District in San Dimas, CA, on Thursday. I'm not sure what to expect. All the email said was that it will take an hour and that I should bring a calculator. Has anybody taken a test like this? What kind of questions should I be expecting? What do I need to brush up on? I got my journeyman's license in 2009, so it's been awhile since I've had to take a test. I'm really nervous! Any help is appreciated!
Did you complete an apprenticeship program? ABC, IBEW this will help your chances.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Inland Emperor said:

One more thing that districts do, after they pick there top candidate it goes to the board and they do a complete back round check. I have heard stories when they couldn't hire someone because they had a DUI 8 years ago, driving record has to be clean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whew! Thanks, guys! I've been working in construction (non-union) and have had ZERO motor control experience other than what I learned in my classes 7 or 8 years ago. I'm gonna need to brush up on motor controls, voltage drop calculations and single and three phase calculations.
My confidence is not very high right now, but I appreciate your guys' feedback. It gives me an idea of what to study. I'll let you know how it went.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got back from my test. It was 67 multiple choice questions and you had to get 70% or better to pass. I went through and answered every question I felt pretty confident on first. Turns out that was 47 of them, the exact amount I needed to answer correctly to pass. The other 20 questions I went through afterwards and either answered as best as I could or just flat out guessed. There were quite a few motor control questions which threw me for a loop. Some series and parallel questions, blueprint symbols, etc.
It's gonna be close. If I passed, I BARELY passed. I should find out either tomorrow or Monday.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.