Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there special codes for schools? Is it required that all panels, and receptacles and switches to recessed in the cinder block walls?

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
I don't think you will find that in the NEC but, I know that was in the specs for hallways and common areas in most school districts.
The exception being true electrical or mechanical rooms.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
Is there special codes for schools?
Yes. No smoking, watch your language, wear appropriate clothing and keep your eyes off the girls.

Is it required that all panels, and receptacles and switches to recessed in the cinder block walls?
Not an NEC requirement, but usually a spec. You'll learn how to get along with the brickies, if nothing else. :thumbup:

·
Registered
885 Posts
there is no "schools" section but there are parts of chapters 5,6,7,& 8 that are applicable to most schools.

since you are in the Chicago area, I suspect you need to look closer to home for the answer to your question.

anybody have Chicago's code avaible online?

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Spec books for schools are usually bigger than the phone book. You need to read all trades specs no less than 10 times each and take notes! Even more so if this is the your first one. And right out of the gate make sure you and your inspector agree on how your feeder will pass through or under your footings. Every state inspector in socal want it done differently.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Yes. No smoking, watch your language, wear appropriate clothing and keep your eyes off the girls.

Not an NEC requirement, but usually a spec. You'll learn how to get along with the brickies, if nothing else. :thumbup:

As for the no smoking, most of the schools I have been to in the last year have signs warning of pretty steep fines ($300-$500) for smoking on school grounds. They take their smoke free area pretty seriously.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we got the contract to this church/ school and went to pull the permit and village would not accept our license said it had to be a commercial grade license.

The GC will not give up on us doing the project it seems he probably cant get a better price or he knows something we dont!

My Boss is going to take a test in July to qualify for the license. I dont know though who wants to work there after reading through the rules and regulations for the site.

Sounds like a nightmare!

·
Registered
32,969 Posts
I have done testing on several schools where the EC's went bankrupt. The EC said they killed him with the specs, stuff that was ambiguous. I know the school inspectors and the requirements were a bit over the top and this is from a guy that likes top of the line.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
All of the school work we have had in the last year, has been after the first contractor gave up or was pushed out. NJ has a state run "schools construction corp", a bunch of guys that have figured out how to build schools that look like shopping malls, just bigger.

·
Registered
885 Posts
All of the school work we have had in the last year, has been after the first contractor gave up or was pushed out. NJ has a state run "schools construction corp", a bunch of guys that have figured out how to build schools that look like shopping malls, just bigger.
hearing that reminds me of when I was walking one of my daughters though a school I was working on. When we went into the foyer, which was quite expansive, the comment from her (now mind you, she was a typical 17-18 year old girl) was, "Wow, what a waste. This looks like a shopping mall. How many classrooms do you think they could have put in place of all this wasted space?"

girls; I can never figure out where their minds are.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
hearing that reminds me of when I was walking one of my daughters though a school I was working on. When we went into the foyer, which was quite expansive, the comment from her (now mind you, she was a typical 17-18 year old girl) was, "Wow, what a waste. This looks like a shopping mall. How many classrooms do you think they could have put in place of all this wasted space?"

girls; I can never figure out where their minds are.

Her's at that point sounded pretty level headed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Here in WV we use only metal encased methods for power wiring (except for hubbell plug strips). Schools are exempt from local (city & county) electrical inspections. The state fire marshal is the electrical AHJ. Except, for new or replaced services, the poco requires a local inspection prior to (re-)connection. We are essentially self-inspecting otherwise. We have 3 electricians, with the oldester retiring in Sep. (and none to soon), leaving two journeyman. We're members of the IAEI and go to 5 days of seminars each year. Buildings built by "boosters" are generally pretty scary. We run individual wire fire alarm systems in conduit, but fire alarm cable in free air.

enough random rambling

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
I have done testing on several schools where the EC's went bankrupt. The EC said they killed him with the specs, stuff that was ambiguous. I know the school inspectors and the requirements were a bit over the top and this is from a guy that likes top of the line.
It sounds like this is NOT a public school, correct? If it isn't then the NEC is the only code, plus any local ammendments, plus any particular contract specifications.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.