Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Keeper Of The Magic
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All,

Can someone point me in the direction of the code book where screw on bushings are needed for connectors on a 1900 box or any box with KO's.

I've always used them in the past on the inside of boxes for protection of the wires. My new foreman says they are not required.

Mind you these are not the "insulated throat" connectors either.

I am running 3/4 EMT thru various 1900 Boxes and 12 x 12 boxes.

Loser is buying breakfast - hopefully not me

Thanks in advance.

·
Keeper Of The Magic
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CJ - working with 10 & 12 AWG. I also saw in the RMC section that bushings are required for pipe entering boxes.

Nothing in the EMT Section though.

Has anyone else used them with EMT connectors/boxes?

·
Premium Member
20,049 Posts
Hey All,

Can someone point me in the direction of the code book where screw on bushings are needed for connectors on a 1900 box or any box with KO's.

I've always used them in the past on the inside of boxes for protection of the wires. My new foreman says they are not required.

Mind you these are not the "insulated throat" connectors either.

I am running 3/4 EMT thru various 1900 Boxes and 12 x 12 boxes.

Loser is buying breakfast - hopefully not me

Thanks in advance.
It might be a job specification not def not an NEC requirement.

·
ANY MONKEY CAN RUN!
1,769 Posts
Well code says 4# awg and larger I agree rigid pipe must have a plastic bushings in general unless your details or engineer asked for them then no you don't need it on EMT. We always just purchase insulated throat EMT connectors then you don't need a bushing and its cheaper then installing plastic bushings . Plus they don't take up space in the box .

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Looks like you're buying breakfast. :(

Reactions: EBFD6

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
CJ - working with 10 & 12 AWG. I also saw in the RMC section that bushings are required for pipe entering boxes.

Nothing in the EMT Section though.

Has anyone else used them with EMT connectors/boxes?
10's and 12's in emt?

Sorry, you lose.

The new breakfast menu at Taco Bell is pretty good and relatively cheap.

·
Keeper Of The Magic
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dang - Appreciate the help.

I have always used the bushings in the past (EMT/Rigid), hence why I was skeptical when mentioned by the foreman. I thought he was being cheap.

I think he said Turkey/Egg/Cheese or something like that.....

Thanks again!

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Dang - Appreciate the help.

I have always used the bushings in the past (EMT/Rigid), hence why I was skeptical when mentioned by the foreman. I thought he was being cheap.

I think he said Turkey/Egg/Cheese or something like that.....

Thanks again!
Just buy him the happy meal. He'll get an action figure and he'll also get his apple fries. Mooschelle will be proud of him. Bushings are a good idea even if code doesn't require it, especially at the fitting where you're pulling your wire in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.