Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here just blow an estimate (i.e., not applying your markup) and then find out after the job was accepted by the client? This just happened to moi. I suppose sucking it up and doing the job at a loss is the only way to go. I mean you can't call a good client and go, "Oh, by the way, I messed up, you owe me $xxx more on that estimate.":censored:

·
Slave to the grind
623 Posts
Just because the estimate was accepted, doesn't mean you have to do the job....(as long as a contract hasn't been signed.)

If they are a good customer, I'd contact them and let them know that you made a mistake and need to re-submit the quote. Better to not get the work than lose money doing it, IMO.

And to answer your first question, yes, I totally dropped the ball on a quote to relocate a 200 3-phase panel about 100' away once. I forgot to put the feeder conductors into the bid.:whistling2:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Oh man...I have blown so many it's not even funny.
That's how you get better. Estimating is a process that you fine tune to check for mistakes and omissions. Then you do it the same for every job.

Back before computer estimating, all of our hand entered pricing sheets, with ever nut, bolt, fitting, and stick of conduit were written up, priced, labored, and extends and totaled. There could be a hundred of these sheets.
All those totals were then transferred to the front summary sheet.
Well....I missed transferring all of the misc material dollars.
Basically, I left off ALL of the conduit, wire, fittings,devices.....it was a $500K job too.
Got the job because it was a public job with sealed bid opening. We pled for mercy, but no go.
We wound up making money on it :laughing:

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And to answer your first question, yes, I totally dropped the ball on a quote to relocate a 200 3-phase panel about 100' away once. I forgot to put the feeder conductors into the bid.:whistling2:
Thanks I just mustered the courage to send an email out asking to rebid.
So as a percentage basis how off were you? Mine was about 30%!

·
Slave to the grind
623 Posts
So as a percentage basis how off were you? Mine was about 30%!
I'd have to go back and find the job in my records to be for sure...I'm guessing 10-15% or so. Ended up, we sent our 2 best conduit guys and pulled aluminum instead of copper. They made up time on the pipe run and the cost of the aluminum eased the pain a little more. Broke about even.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I was in the middle of a two big jobs when a one of the GC's I worked for asked to bid a small bank reno.
I bid it real quick and sent it over, was awarded job and didnt realize I screwed up till the job started about 2 months later.
I only bid material, no labor
Oh well, live and learn

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Ya we all forget stuff once in awhile. Bid on a job recently not a big one thankfully! Forgot to add in taxes, suck here 13 percent on everything.
There went my gravy mark up money!!

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Well it was an estimate! You just estimated wrong, the invoice will reflect that. Of course better to tell the customer now than at the end of the job when it bumps up a good 30%!!

I've screwed up quotes and invoices.. I can screw up anything if you give me a chance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts