Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to fnd a SDS bit to put in my roto hammer to set wedge anchors. I was at white cap the other day and the guy had no clue what I was talking about. :001_huh:

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
You talking about the wedge bolt with a sleeve type, or the lead caulk-in type?

The first we usually back the nut to the end and just smack with a hammer. The second I can't imagine using a SDS drill to set.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
No, they are a slick system, even over loaded small anchors never pull. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its basically a sds bit with a cone on the end. Set the drill to hammer and it doesnt muck up the head of the anchor. Same thing as using the drill bit on hammer just faster and more better.

·
Premium Member
18,559 Posts
Its basically a sds bit with a cone on the end. Set the drill to hammer and it doesnt muck up the head of the anchor. Same thing as using the drill bit on hammer just faster and more better.
The cone fits into the anchor,
The anchor drills into the concrete.
You drill the hole.
Put the redhead in the end of the anchor.
Drive the anchor with the hammer only mode of the tool
Snap off the anchor drive part whole it's in the tool.
Install all thread.
They are about .50 each but worth 10x that when installed.
I think it might be a Hilti product.
Haven't used them in over 25 years.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have not seen or used these "Red Head" self drilling anchors in many years. Are they still manufactured? They were a really good anchoring system. If installed properly, I don't remember ever seeing one fail. Only using a ball peen hammer to set these anchors will usually not work well enough to prevent pullout.

·
Certified Organic A-Hole
1,700 Posts
I have not seen or used these "Red Head" self drilling anchors in many years. Are they still manufactured? They were a really good anchoring system. If installed properly, I don't remember ever seeing one fail. Only using a ball peen hammer to set these anchors will usually not work well enough to prevent pullout.
A 3 lb drilling hammer seems to do the trick.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Here is a link.

tp://www.industrialhardware.com/anchors-anchor-bolts/concrete-and-masonry-anchors/mechanical-anchors/self-drill-anchors/

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
https://www.hilti.com/holcom/page/m...8.node1?lang=en&nodeId=-10823&selProdOid=9362

Here is a link to Hilti

Just looking at it if you knew someone that had a lathe you could get a slick rod from Fastenal and have them drill the end back and have the same thing. I think it would be better to have a seperate handtool than changing bits. but that is just me.
By the was in my 40 years + years being around construction I have never seen a wedge anchor setting tool.
What we did is back nut off the anchor until it was flush with the top of the anchor and drive it in.
If we were working with strut we would screw the anchor on to a allthread rod(using a rod coupeling) leaving the nut on the anchor and drive it in that way

Reactions: scott m

·
Registered
14,325 Posts
My anchor set tools:

-drop ins- pin punch
-wedges- rod coupling with one good end one really hammered end
-pins- piece of steel rod with a dimple drilled in the end

:laughing:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts