Electrician Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SE cable is rated for service entrance and has a UV resistant jacket. It states that it can be used from the service drop to the meter socket. Are we allowed to strip the jacket off the wire where the wires connect to the service drop? Are the individual wires rated for exposure to sunlight? Or just the jacket? Thanks.

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
1,944 Posts
SE cable is rated for service entrance and has a UV resistant jacket. It states that it can be used from the service drop to the meter socket. Are we allowed to strip the jacket off the wire where the wires connect to the service drop? Are the individual wires rated for exposure to sunlight? Or just the jacket? Thanks.
Just the assembly. Same issue with the cord grip.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
22,828 Posts
If the se can be used as service riser then certainly the wires inside would be rated for exposure to sunlight.

·
Premium Member
residential, commercial, and industrial
234 Posts
I dont think I've ever seen SE cable that the jacket is rated for sunlight but the conductors aren't, you're referring to the SE cable that has the neutrals concentrically wrapped around the conductors? If so, where i live, we use that as the riser itself, without the use of GRC and install a clamp service head on the end, twist our neutral wires together and viola.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts