Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a line of these entering a troffer...>

they are a tad too close to each other to turn about, and the ground is frozen so digging is a bit of a chore.

Is there any way to dissolve the sealant in the seal while maintaining the raceways integrity? anyone done this out there?

we don't care about the conductors btw, they're toast

thx ~CS~

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
I've always smashed them. That was years ago tho. You wouldn't be turning them anyway with the wires seal in.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i don't know Papa, i was thinking something along the lines of drano....

~CS~

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Can you identify, visually, what flavor of Chico might have been used? Some is just aluminium powder and plaster, and a pressure washer gets it out. Others are an offshoot of superglue, and the solvent that works good on that also makes the same fumes associated with the Bopohl disaster years back.

Put a chisel on the chipping hammer and get that frozen ground out of there so you got a little wiggle room to unscrew them.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've already demo'd others, and all i can say is it's white ,looks like plaster of paris MD ~CS~

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I've already demo'd others, and all i can say is it's white ,looks like plaster of paris MD ~CS~
Probably Chico A, then. If you dare, try a pressure washer. I've had success with that in the past, but never tried it in freezing temps.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Get a hammer and a variety of chizzells. I have smashed the Chico out many times. Now if they didn't pack them good and the Chico ran down the pipe your screwed.

·
Registered
14,458 Posts
I've had pretty good luck the last few months. All the seals I've had to chip where half ass and there was little chico in them.

White vinegar works too.

When all else fails split both sides with a circ saw or p grinder and whack away with your 2 favorite hammers.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Angle grinder, a cold chisel and a hammer to get rid of the seals.. I don't know if the chico will disolve without a ton of mess.. Is it possible to just lob the conduits off below the seals, remove the seal and then re-thread the piece of pipe - if it is able to be removed (coupling before it disappears)...
On a cautionary note, the fibre in some of the older seals did contain aesbestoes...Not sure of the era of the construction you are demoing...

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Why would anybody install those seal-offs so close together they wouldn't turn? I just don't get the whole idea of it and I see it all the time. We either space them out, stagger with b2b 7/8" strut or stagger 2-3" vertically and use different length nipples.:censored:

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the options fellas....:thumbsup:~CS~

·
3,670 Posts
If the grounds frozen you aren't getting the conductors out till spring anyway. How much are they now days?

·
3,670 Posts
Yes. Sorry about that.

Forget what I just said. You are not wanting to replace them. I think you just want to replace the wire and leave all intact. Tough one. Try as others have suggested I guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts