Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a job today and one thursday where I had to push 3 #10"s through 8 ft of sealtight. I really struggled with it both times so i know there is something I'm doing wrong. It's really got me po'd. Any suggestions? Thanks again..

·
stop pickin on Peter D...
775 Posts
use a fish tape to pull them through, or fold the first 1/2" of one of them back over itself, tape the other 2 about an inch back from the end, tape all 3 together maybe at 2 feet intervals, then try pushing.

Are there fittings (like 90s) on the ends of the Sealtite?

·
Registered
41 Posts
1. Try pushing the conductors thru without the fittings on the sealtite
2. Use a fish tape
3. Curl the tips of the conductors.
What is the size of the sealtite? It shouldn't be that difficult if its 3/4".

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
funny did the same thing today plus a 25 ft run sucks i hate the stuff - use a fish tape period don't try to push it long pulls use two people and hold the stuff tight - take all connectors off of it - upsizing really dont help because its friction between the plastics - it gets hot and sticks

·
Registered
84 Posts
This works for me

Try using a snake and straighten the liquidtite first. I usually will get someone to assist me by holding the other end of the liquidtite taut . Cut your liquidtite to lenght first or even a little long . Now pull your conductors right thru, just takes a few seconds, no bunching up of the wire or conduit.Trim to exact lenght once you have your conductors installed, this is easy with the non-metallic type but you might not want to with the metallic . Lastly your fittings and support clips.

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
the insulation and the interior of the sealtight create friction and that causes heat - cut the stuff open and you should see little friction burns - like getting chaffed with a rope on your hands - nothing that harms anything imo but makes it a pain in the .. for pulling thru

·
stop pickin on Peter D...
775 Posts
I just can't see much heat being generated on a 25' pull, unless the conductors are too large, or too many for a given size of LFMC.

the first poster didn't say if it was 1/2 or 3/4, either way...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
lay it out straight and pull through a pulling wire (or snake) and pull it through. I agree that 3/4 shouldn't be that tough. I also use lube sometimes, depending on the distance.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,959 Posts
Stagger the ends of the conductors with tape leaving one sticking out. Turn the tip of the longer wire with you strippers. Push in. 8' is nothing. Sealtight straight and wire straight, easy.
3 # 10's in 1/2" flex. You should have been using 3/4"

·
Registered
126 Posts
Loop one conductor at the end, tape it, stick it in some lube if you must. Then let gravity work while you hold the sealtight vertically and you push. When it gets through, tape the other conductors on and pull them out. Much easier pushing one conductor through that stuff if it is tight and holding it vertically really helps too.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
1) Use the right size tube for the job at hand.
2) Loop the ends of each wire.
3) Push them through.
4) Add the appropriate connector.

I have never had to use lube or do anything special for seal tite or Carflex and I often use 10'-12' lengths. The metal 90s are always the hard part.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
It's not the task at hand that is difficult. It's trying to make it easier than it actually is which causes the problems. Little task like this get frustrating when you try and cut one tiny corner. Take your time and do it right the first time.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,959 Posts
It will push in MUCH easier from one direction then it will the other. So if you see it is not going to easy, then try pushing from the other end
Now that was an excellent suggestion. I remember someone telling me that when I was an apprentice. But have never thought about it again. Thanks.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.