Electrician Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Im a little sparky...
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Me again. Been away from the forum for a while due to illness and finishing up school. Now I got both done and I am starting to feel really sad that there are no jobs here in cali. Thinking about moving but where to i have no idea since i doubt my et card will carry any weight anywhere.

Oh well.

How is everyone???

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hey all. Me again. Been away from the forum for a while due to illness and finishing up school. Now I got both done and I am starting to feel really sad that there are no jobs here in cali. Thinking about moving but where to i have no idea since i doubt my et card will carry any weight anywhere.

Oh well.

How is everyone???

Welcome back glad you feel better..:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Welcome back and glad to hear you're ok. :)

Sadly, you are right that Cali is not a good state for work anymore.

Perhaps you should start a thread in General Electrical Discussion to get a broader audience to your question. :thumbup:

Best of luck and hope you find work soon!!

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
The economy sucks almost everywhere, but when it does pick up, it will probably pick up in Cali first.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Oh well.

How is everyone???
There are 141 maintenance mechanic jobs within 50 miles from where I live. It's all motor stuff but I am hoping to get into that. I am about done with school too so I am in the same boat here in Cali. Cant find much residential or commercial and I have been applying. But a maintenance mechanic sounds like a solid career move.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
There are 141 maintenance mechanic jobs within 50 miles from where I live. It's all motor stuff but I am hoping to get into that. I am about done with school too so I am in the same boat here in Cali. Cant find much residential or commercial and I have been applying. But a maintenance mechanic sounds like a solid career move.
When you say you are about done with school, do you mean that you have completed all your courses?

Or, do you mean that you are quitting school?

I notice that you have never acknowledged any advice, that has been offered to you.

Are you just asking for opinions, or are you serious?

·
Registered
285 Posts
When you say you are about done with school, do you mean that you have completed all your courses?

Or, do you mean that you are quitting school?

I notice that you have never acknowledged any advice, that has been offered to you.

Are you just asking for opinions, or are you serious?
Oh my god no. Im not quitting I just have 3 phases left of industrial (no pun intended). Maintenance mechanic seems like a cool job and if I can get into that, I wouldn't mind. But I am trying to find any work really.

I also take your guy's advice! I might not post any updates but most of my questions were in regard to being in the field which I certainly am not in at the moment.

·
Im a little sparky...
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome back and glad to hear you're ok. :)

Sadly, you are right that Cali is not a good state for work anymore.

Perhaps you should start a thread in General Electrical Discussion to get a broader audience to your question. :thumbup:

Best of luck and hope you find work soon!!
thanks. No i was just commenting on the state of the state (Such a bad pun :jester:) and starting to think i might need to go elsewhere.

·
Registered
285 Posts
thanks. No i was just commenting on the state of the state (Such a bad pun :jester:) and starting to think i might need to go elsewhere.
Ya man, I was actually looking into portland oregon as my next move. There seems to be a ton of jobs regarding industrial and I even found quite a few long term positions in residential. The pay for industrial was great and some benefits, one job is offering 21.19 as starting. I am thinking of taking a welding class before I apply but it looks promising and even if that falls through I can easily get 14.40/hr for residential. So many options but industrial seems like so much fun! Also thinking of being a maintenance mechanic which has a ton of related content to what we learn as electricians. I am really excited to see what I get but if you are willing to move for opportunity, I would recommend it. I just want to sink my teeth in some motor control and PLCs. Its so interesting :). Just finishing up my resume and hopefully I can pull 20 an hour with some benefits. It really seems like a great time to get in on our field, really excited about all the oppurtunity :thumbsup:

·
Im a little sparky...
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fiki said:
Ya man, I was actually looking into portland oregon as my next move. There seems to be a ton of jobs regarding industrial and I even found quite a few long term positions in residential. The pay for industrial was great and some benefits, one job is offering 21.19 as starting. I am thinking of taking a welding class before I apply but it looks promising and even if that falls through I can easily get 14.40/hr for residential. So many options but industrial seems like so much fun! Also thinking of being a maintenance mechanic which has a ton of related content to what we learn as electricians. I am really excited to see what I get but if you are willing to move for opportunity, I would recommend it. I just want to sink my teeth in some motor control and PLCs. Its so interesting :). Just finishing up my resume and hopefully I can pull 20 an hour with some benefits. It really seems like a great time to get in on our field, really excited about all the oppurtunity :thumbsup:
Dude i have done motor control and plc in my classes. Those are fun. I remember the program i wrote for my final in that class and i think i still have it. It was a recreation of a ride control system for an amusement park ride i had worked on as an operator. My instructors were impressed and the motor control instructer asked me to make a diagram for it so he could include it in the motor control lab packet.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Dude i have done motor control and plc in my classes. Those are fun. I remember the program i wrote for my final in that class and i think i still have it. It was a recreation of a ride control system for an amusement park ride i had worked on as an operator. My instructors were impressed and the motor control instructer asked me to make a diagram for it so he could include it in the motor control lab packet.
Mind pm'ing it to me :p?

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts

I used to love this show.

·
Im a little sparky...
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Fiki said:
Thanks a bunch! Thats awesome :)
No problem. Note though that it is a very loose interpritation of how the ride i based it on works.

Plus i have all the other brake zones intentionally left out as it would have taken me a while to program it.

Also if you want me to walk you through it, i can do that over skype. Just ask if you have a question on what some of the labels mean.

My RCS Demo for AB 1000

·
Registered
285 Posts
No problem. Note though that it is a very loose interpritation of how the ride i based it on works.

Plus i have all the other brake zones intentionally left out as it would have taken me a while to program it.

Also if you want me to walk you through it, i can do that over skype. Just ask if you have a question on what some of the labels mean.
I probably will but this will be in a month or so when we get to the programing. Just basic relays as we stand now. N.O N.C and basic logic at the moment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts