Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help. I don't do residential often but I am roughing-in a block house with foam board then furring strips on top of it. I have heard they make a staple for the foam but don't know what they are called. Maybe just use stand-off straps? Hopefully an easy code-compliant method.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Need a little help. I don't do residential often but I am roughing-in a block house with foam board then furring strips on top of it. I have heard they make a staple for the foam but don't know what they are called. Maybe just use stand-off straps? Hopefully an easy code-compliant method.

Can you get longer staples that will catch the beams?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

(d) cables and raceways parallel to framing members
and furring strips. In both exposed and concealed
locations, where a cable- or raceway-type wiring method is
installed parallel to framing members, such as joists,
rafters, or studs, or is installed parallel to furring strips, the
cable or raceway shall be installed and supported so that the
nearest outside surface of the cable or raceway is not less
than 32 mm (11⁄4 in.) from the nearest edge of the framing
member or furring strips where nails or screws are likely to
penetrate. Where this distance cannot be maintained, the
cable or raceway shall be protected from penetration by
nails or screws by a steel plate, sleeve, or equivalent at least
1.6 mm (1⁄16 in.) thick.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
What about cutting a chase in the foam board and securing it to the block with zip ties and masonry anchors? And then fill your chase back in with foam-in-a-can? Only problem I see is the inspector might want to look at it all before you foam it up.

I was on a commercial job where the exterior walls were getting sprayed foamed and we had to cut channels like this for some MC that got put in after they sprayed the walls.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
I'd cut a chase in the foam, lay the NM in, and use canned spray foam to hold it in place.

My foam method uses an electric chain saw to cut a slot. Lay the NM in and hit every 2' with a shot of canned foam.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I'd cut a chase in the foam, lay the NM in, and use canned spray foam to hold it in place.

My foam method uses an electric chain saw to cut a slot. Lay the NM in and hit every 2' with a shot of canned foam.
I didn't even think about using the spray foam to secure it. Some of the sunrooms I do, have a pre-fab Styrofoam roof and Ive had to cut channels in it with little pockets left untouched to fish a wire to a flood light. Forgot about that.

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I would think that the GC would give you the method because of the possible compromise of the insulation. Surely, this is not a side job...right?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I would think that the GC would give you the method because of the possible compromise of the insulation. Surely, this is not a side job...right?
I learned something new not to long ago - seems you can get away without insulating the attic or crawlspace or exteriors walls in my area. :) Yeah, no kidding. I finished a remodel on a 100 year old house last month, and that cheap Land lord managed to pass all his inspections without putting the first bit of insulation in ANYWHERE in that house. My inspector even asked about it and shot me a real funny look. I thought insulation was required, this really was something new.

This also isn't the first job he's done this on. He owns properties all over the place and his tenants are always complaining that they cant keep the place cool or warm. :laughing:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would rather not cut a channel in the foam. The GC answer to everything is that's why I hired you. I am thinking about using 1-hole straps and tap-cons. I heard they make a "viper" strap for this application that you just nail into the foam.

No this is not a side job it's a custom home a block away from my door. I haven't wired a home since I was a teenager. I didn't even really want this job. A residential expert I am not.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.