Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been assigned to find an off grid security camera set up to monitor a 13 acre construction site. Cameras must be DC powered, which I think most are. DC will come from batteries and solar modules, and the system must be accessible via the Internet. And as usual I must keep the cost to a minimum. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,162 Posts
cc2kj said:
I've been assigned to find an off grid security camera set up to monitor a 13 acre construction site. Cameras must be DC powered, which I think most are. DC will come from batteries and solar modules, and the system must be accessible via the Internet. And as usual I must keep the cost to a minimum. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Cheap & easy access?
I have been using ICam for a few years. Take a look at their website for more info. Works with IPhone and Android.
You pick and provide the cameras, I even use my laptops and a recessed wall mounted computer in my kitchen.
It's even how I filmed the windshield company damage my Jeep.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Cheap & easy access?
I have been using ICam for a few years. Take a look at their website for more info. Works with IPhone and Android.
You pick and provide the cameras, I even use my laptops and a recessed wall mounted computer in my kitchen.
It's even how I filmed the windshield company damage my Jeep.
What kind of Jeep? haha

·
Registered
880 Posts

What you are asking for is not so easy. 13 acres will take a lot of cheap cameras or a few really good ones. I would recommend one of the many companies that set up a rental system for you:

http://www.truelook.com/construction-cameras/?gclid=CKGQqI-pp7wCFQt1QgodXBQADQ

You can also ask on this site, might take a day or two to get answers. There's a guy goes by "Buellwinkle" who knows his stuff:

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/

Good video surveillance does not come cheap. Cheap cameras=Toys

·
Conservitum Americum
8,921 Posts
I do recommend megapixel or HD cameras. Forget standard. Of course you have to have an NVR or DVR to match. And they ain't cheap! One 5 Megapixel camera positioned correctly will take the place of up to five standard definition cameras. They can be digitally panned and zoomed in to provide detail for forensic purposes.

Cheap and true surveillance coverage on 13 acres do NOT go together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts