Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finishing up a job this week where in the beginning it was decided not to install a fire alarm to save money.

Security company comes in to do security and card readers. I noticed they are also installing pull stations(wrong heights and wrong locations), smokes, and strobes(wrong height and not nearly enough). There is also no fire alarm panel.

Are security companies allowed to install fire alarm systems, I always thought it had to be installed by a licensed electrician. If so how can they get away with putting in only a 1/4 of what is needed for the building.

The electrical inspector is coming by tomorrow, so I am curious to what he will have to say.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Finishing up a job this week where in the beginning it was decided not to install a fire alarm to save money.

Security company comes in to do security and card readers. I noticed they are also installing pull stations(wrong heights and wrong locations), smokes, and strobes(wrong height and not nearly enough). There is also no fire alarm panel.

Are security companies allowed to install fire alarm systems, I always thought it had to be installed by a licensed electrician. If so how can they get away with putting in only a 1/4 of what is needed for the building.

The electrical inspector is coming by tomorrow, so I am curious to what he will have to say.
Does a security system replace a fire alarm? no
The Building code specifies the requirments for a fire alarm system and no security alarm panel is approved as a fire alarm control panel. Security panels fed by a class 2 transformer don't even require a product certification.
All recognized Fire alarm devices are listed under ULC. the standards for installing fire alarms are Can\ULC.

Security panles are permitted to have a smoke detector or water detector or camera or intrusion detector and a lot of other things it can do but if the building code requirmes a fire alarm system then a security panel is not a fire alarm panel

·
Registered
826 Posts
Security panels are listed for communication as security panels and some are approved for fire communication, not commercial fire alarm. Are they installing a conventional/addressable fire panel and using the security as a comm pathway?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I wonder how the insurance companies feel about fire protection through a security system.I don't think an electrical inspector would have much input into the layout or type of system as that all falls under the building codes.The installing company would need to take a permit out for the low voltage though.

·
Registered
826 Posts
crosport said:
I wonder how the insurance companies feel about fire protection through a security system.I don't think an electrical inspector would have much input into the layout or type of system as that all falls under the building codes.The installing company would need to take a permit out for the low voltage though.
You can use a security system as a communication pathway if it is listed as such. Some security panels are also listed as fire panels. What is the big deal? It is the insurance companies that listed these products, why would they mind? Underwriter's Laboratories (UL) says it's ok. Honeywell, Silent Knight, DMP, DSC all have listed security and fire panels.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Inspector didn't say anything about. If they would have put in a proper fire alarm would have meant more money for our company.

·
Registered
625 Posts
At least here in Alberta, not all building are required to have a supervised fire alarm system. This is outlined in the Alberta Fire Code and the Alberta Building Code.

I've done a few small standalone stores that didn't have a supervised system and had a security company come in and do what you described. The building wasn't required to have a system as per the AFC and ABC.

·
Registered
427 Posts
At least here in Alberta, not all building are required to have a supervised fire alarm system. This is outlined in the Alberta Fire Code and the Alberta Building Code.

I've done a few small standalone stores that didn't have a supervised system and had a security company come in and do what you described. The building wasn't required to have a system as per the AFC and ABC.
Many architects doing smaller strip-mall type buildings have become good at cost-saving in code areas like this. We did a six-unit commercial building in Wainwright that left fire-alarm to tenant discretion.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went back today and the security company was changing there red pull stations to yellow pull stations with no mention of fire on it. I believe they removed there strobes that said fire on them as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts