Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine wants me to wire up a pump for a portable pool. It is a replacement pump that runs on 20A 240V. He has a 2P 50 GFI breaker. I intend to put a cord on the pump and plug it into a 20A 240V receptacle under an in use cover. The 50A GFI will provide protection and the 2P 20 I install in the panel will provide the OCP.

(I hate these portable pools)

·
13,020 Posts
You want to put a 20 amp receptacle on a 50 amp breaker?

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm not familiar with pool equipment connections, but I'm thinking a 2 p 20 amp gfci breaker in the panel and hard wire the pump where the feeders end. I'm not seeing a reason to use the 2p 50 or buy cord caps, seems like 2 more ways for something to go wrong.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
If the motor has a threaded KO for the cord, and as most pool pumps do, an access door to the terminal connections, isn't replacing the cord just a routine maintenance and upkeep thing? I wired pools for a stint years ago and the pumps always came from the supplier with whatever type of cord connector you wanted, installed by the supplier. In addition, many pool pump motors have the ability to run on 120v or 240v, making the changing of the cordset or cap a necessity for proper safe operation.

I don't believe changing or servicing a motor cord or cap violates anything. Besides, isn't what happens after the receptacle outside of a code inspectors jurisdiction?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The pump is actually one that was taken out of his hot tub so it's not really a pool pump and why I can't simply change the input voltage.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
That complicates matters DeepOne, methinks 680.31's grounding considerations may be an issue....

~CS~

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The pump has an external bonding lug and I'm pretty sure it has what is required in 680.31 for grounding, however, the way I'm reading that citation, my setup is not legal because the GFI protection is not an integral part of the cord or attachment plug.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
10-4, i'm unsure how to make such an arrangement ligit to the letter of code DeepOne.....~CS~

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts