Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night had a 75 hp vacuum pump blow a fuse. Before throwing a new fuse in and lettin it rip I megged out the wiring and found a bad wire. Going to the "peckerhead" found all 3 phase wires melted together. After cutting them apart and megging the motor to make sure it was still good (it was) reconnected the motor put new fuse in and bumped for rotation. Everything worked fine and we carried on bringing those sweet chicken paws to the chinese for their soups. Nothing to see here carry on.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Last night had a 75 hp vacuum pump blow a fuse. Before throwing a new fuse in and lettin it rip I megged out the wiring and found a bad wire. Going to the "peckerhead" found all 3 phase wires melted together. After cutting them apart and megging the motor to make sure it was still good (it was) reconnected the motor put new fuse in and bumped for rotation. Everything worked fine and we carried on bringing those sweet chicken paws to the chinese for their soups. Nothing to see here carry on.:thumbsup:
:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Does the motor have thermal over-loads? Since you said welded, I'm suprised
they did go first. Did you keep the meg reading for the house records, and what voltages did you shoot them at?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was a bit more stuff done than what i said in the post. Two of the heaters tripped. The blown fuse was the leg that didn't. Where this vacuum pump is at is wet contantly. Was some sign of mositure in the peckerhead so i put some silicone around the seam and the myers hub we use to connect the liquid tight.

For the megger part i hit the wiring with 1k volts for about 30 secs to get a good quick reading. With 2 legs showing shorts i went to the peckerhead and saw the mess. After it was cleaned up i hit the motor itself with 500 volts for the same length of time

·
Registered
425 Posts
Noble 32 said:
Your better then me, I would of blew a second set of fuses before I pulled out my meter...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.