Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

Quick introduction: I am currently attending my local community college taking general education courses and have the goal of attaining an apprenticeship with my Local IBEW.

After taking my placement test and interview, I realized I most likely will not be getting an apprenticeship on this my first attempt. I passed my placement test and my final interview score was 91%(with some decimals I do not care to look up right now). I say this because there was obviously a large number of applicants in the initial day of applications, I would guess they have anywhere from 15-20 applicants to apprenticeships available, but what do I know. I can also assume that while a score of 91 is not too bad some other folks may have done a little better.

After looking into classes for next fall I realized another college in the systems I attend offers Electrical Technology courses, in addition to offering what I believe is the apprenticeship training for Local IBEW apprentices. I registered right away for a part-time load of Electrical Fundamentals and its applied Math course. The community college service was a little bit vague and unknowing of how the Electrical courses worked but knew at least that it was something offered through the local union.

So my question is what do you fine people know about community/junior colleges offering courses to improve one's understanding of the Electrician's trade? Does that field of study apply to Residential, Industrial, and Commercial work that would be available to me through my Local IBEW? Also, could this knowledge I stand to gain make me a better candidate for positions with NECA, PG&E, or other Electrician's Organizations that occasionally train apprentices.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this! Sorry if it was a bit of a rant but I did not want to leave any critical part of the story out.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Greetings!

Quick introduction: I am currently attending my local community college taking general education courses and have the goal of attaining an apprenticeship with my Local IBEW.

After taking my placement test and interview, I realized I most likely will not be getting an apprenticeship on this my first attempt. I passed my placement test and my final interview score was 91%(with some decimals I do not care to look up right now). I say this because there was obviously a large number of applicants in the initial day of applications, I would guess they have anywhere from 15-20 applicants to apprenticeships available, but what do I know. I can also assume that while a score of 91 is not too bad some other folks may have done a little better.

After looking into classes for next fall I realized another college in the systems I attend offers Electrical Technology courses, in addition to offering what I believe is the apprenticeship training for Local IBEW apprentices. I registered right away for a part-time load of Electrical Fundamentals and its applied Math course. The community college service was a little bit vague and unknowing of how the Electrical courses worked but knew at least that it was something offered through the local union.

So my question is what do you fine people know about community/junior colleges offering courses to improve one's understanding of the Electrician's trade? Does that field of study apply to Residential, Industrial, and Commercial work that would be available to me through my Local IBEW? Also, could this knowledge I stand to gain make me a better candidate for positions with NECA, PG&E, or other Electrician's Organizations that occasionally train apprentices.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this! Sorry if it was a bit of a rant but I did not want to leave any critical part of the story out.
Welcome to the forum..:thumbsup:

If you get into The IBEW they will pay for your schooling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The larger non-union shops will start a man in the shop doing pre-fab work and such.
I have some reservations about working for non-union shops, I would prefer to get experience in different trades associated with their local union. Especially considering the dangers of the Electricians' trade, but I don't believe I would feel very comfortable working in any non-union trade shop.

Any possibility a shop associated with my union might give me a position doing grunt work? Cleaning, errands, anything to get a chance to see how things work first hand from Journeyman or even Master level tradesmen? I know it sounds crazy for an entry-level position but possibly even driving trucks for deliveries or pickups? :cool2: Sorry to rephrase the same question there....

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
dadwantsmeintheunion said:
I have some reservations about working for non-union shops, I would prefer to get experience in different trades associated with their local union. Especially considering the dangers of the Electricians' trade, but I don't believe I would feel very comfortable working in any non-union trade shop.
Not even in the trade yet and already looking to start a union/non-union fight...

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Pretty much this is a fallacy, union shops can be as safe or unsafe as any open shop. I am all for getting in the union but having a poor attitude towards open shop workers is doing yourself and the rest of the work force a dis-service.

We should be electricians..not us and them

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ALLWires and Bad Electrician, I have to say when my father originally shared his opinions on non-union shops I was somewhat doubtful of what he was telling me regarding the downsides of an open shop. Perhaps his knowledge of the treatment trainees receive is outdated or just plain inaccurate. Naturally I would be expecting grunt work, clean up, general maintenance, tidying facilities, caring for equipment and the like all while observing the 'big-dogs'.

I have been by the a few of the shops closest to my house and was told that the position I am seeking is filled and most likely will not become available. I think I will go ahead and search specifically for non-union shops that are in my area and try to put my best foot forward there. Pops would never actually really know whether a shop I work at is Union organized considering preapprentices don't get benefits or have requirements to meet for their local, and he's also a tin banger out on unemployment so he is out-of-the-loop as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I would do.

1. Sign up with the local IBEW
2. If you are not sharp at math take a math remedial class at your local Community College.
3. Get a job open shop. You could literally starve to death waiting on some locals to take in new apprentices.
I see where you are coming from about the open/ non union potential for opportunity, especially considering I have no experience and therefore no real leverage in choosing an employer. I would need to be willing to accept the shop helper position at the best or worst, of union or non-union employers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.