Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are a Family Owned and Operated Electrical Contracting Firm with a office location in Big Pine Key, Florida. We serve all areas of the Upper and Lower Keys. Customer Service is our priority.

We are continuing to grow so we are looking for mature experienced electricians that possess a desire to learn and exhibit a positive attitude for our Residential & Commercial Service Projects. Our Electricians typically operate unsupervised in teams of two with an emphasis on high quality work and safety.

This opening is for long term employment, we are not hiring for a specific job. No matter your experience level there will always be room to move up to increasing responsibility.

Explore your future with Pingston Electric and begin your career.

Experience:

Minimum 2yrs. Experience Running a Service Van
Manage his/her company van
Receive work orders from service manager and complete projects in a professional and timely manner
Must be able to complete background check & drug test
Have all required hand tools and battery set
Valid driver’s license
Start work immediately

Benefits:

TOP PAY
Company Paid Holidays
Company Paid Short and Long Term Disability
Company Paid Journeyman and Master Electrician courses, we cover the cost of the test when you pass it

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,162 Posts
"Battery set" sounds like a first class company.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I'm looking forward to the drug test portion of the competition. I enjoy testing drugs.

wonder what kind of pay they are getting in the keys these day.

Reactions: sparkiez

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
Company Paid Journeyman and Master Electrician courses, we cover the cost of the test when you pass it
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is no "master electrician" in Florida, only certified and unlimited electrical contractors. So you pay for your employees to become certified or unlimited contractors and therefore your competition? :no::no:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm looking forward to the drug test portion of the competition. I enjoy testing drugs.

wonder what kind of pay they are getting in the keys these day.

He beat me to it :vs_mad:

I know when I took my General Journeyman exam in KS they made me piss dirty in order to enter the testing facility.

·
Premium Member
18,605 Posts
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is no "master electrician" in Florida, only certified and unlimited electrical contractors. So you pay for your employees to become certified or unlimited contractors and therefore your competition? :no::no:
Masters licenses are issued on the county level and allow you to contract.
I had 4 of them but, it best to operate on the state level and not in one county.
There are hundreds if not thousands of guys operating county by county.
You could have a Monroe county Masters and work all over the keys if you wanted.

·
Premium Member
18,605 Posts
The guy is setup pretty good.
If someone was tired of the snow and wanted to fish as a lifestyle. They should jump on this.
https://www.pingstonelectric.com/

The cost of living is a bit higher than on the mainland. I think you would need to be at $35 and possibly some commission.
The wage and benefit package in local 349, the keys jurisdiction, non-industrial is about $32 on the check and about $825 per week in fringe benefits.

·
Banned
39,206 Posts
Small price to pay for work. You could sit on the bench at the hall and wait for work where you can use company-provided tools, or you could go to work with your own tools and pay the bills.
I resented the fact that the union prevented me from bringing my own small battery tools.

Expecting an employee to provide an impact gun, drill, and even a smallish sawzall is extremely reasonable.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,162 Posts
Small price to pay for work. You could sit on the bench at the hall and wait for work where you can use company-provided tools, or you could go to work with your own tools and pay the bills.

There is a huge difference in providing your own cordless tools making $50+ per hr in other places as opposed to doing it at $15-$18 per hr in Florida.

I hear too often how low the non union rates are there.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,162 Posts
I resented the fact that the union prevented me from bringing my own small battery tools.

Expecting an employee to provide an impact gun, drill, and even a smallish sawzall is extremely reasonable.
That is the only issue I've ever had because I liked my battery tools.

My point is doing because you like what you like is not the same as it being a job requirement.

Last couple contractors I worked for let me buy the brand of cordless I wanted on the van.

Reactions: HertzHound

·
Small Potatoes
5,460 Posts
Agreed.

Thirty four years in business and I can assure you that company supplied tools typically never last as long as employee supplied tools. So, we hit a happy median. When hired, we inspect and inventory your tools. Come with a decent set of hand and battery operated tools and as long as your with us we'll repair or replace whatever you wear out while your with us. Lose it and it's on you.

We also have a tool and work boot program based on points for good reviews. Those who need or want to add to their tool list can use the points to purchase them. Since continued employment here requires you to get good reviews, everyone gets the points.

Those that don't, can sit on the bench with their $hit, entitlement attitudes and kick rocks. :vs_smirk:

·
Banned
16,981 Posts

Agreed. An impact gun is essential now and everyone brings their own, even apprentices, in my area.

An M12 Fuel impact gun and hackzall can get most jobs done. I wouldn't recommend the M12 Fuel drill/driver though, I think it's one of the worst tools that Milwaukee makes.

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
Masters licenses are issued on the county level and allow you to contract.
I had 4 of them but, it best to operate on the state level and not in one county.
There are hundreds if not thousands of guys operating county by county.
You could have a Monroe county Masters and work all over the keys if you wanted.
Ok, but why would a contractor pay for its employees to gain a credential that gets them one step closer to leaving and striking out on their own?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Agreed. An impact gun is essential now and everyone brings their own, even apprentices, in my area.

An M12 Fuel impact gun and hackzall can get most jobs done. I wouldn't recommend the M12 Fuel drill/driver though, I think it's one of the worst tools that Milwaukee makes.
Please elaborate? I have the fuel drill/ driver and the fuel screwdriver. Both in my opinion have served me well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
39,206 Posts
No, you didn't.

Making the company money to pay their bills (and then profit on top of that) is part of the employee's job. Everyone knows this. That's not why people go to work, they go to work to make money for themselves, which can only be done if they are making money for the company.

Where does this slippery slope end? Apparently not at power tools.
It's not a slippery slope. There is already an arbitrary line somewhere.

The thing that you don't realize is that most people feel comfortable putting that line after smaller battery tools. And I am talking about union members too.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts