Electrician Talk banner

separate emergency feed

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  karl_r 
#1 ·
I have to replace a regular exit light with a emergency and exit light and was wondering what to do with the separate emergency feed.
There is no need for that anymore as the fixture will turn ON the emergency light in the case of a blackout.
The new exit light will get 120V from the old circuit but now what to do with the old low voltage circuit?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have to replace a regular exit light with a emergency and exit light and was wondering what to do with the separate emergency feed.
There is no need for that anymore as the fixture will turn ON the emergency light in the case of a blackout.
The new exit light will get 120V from the old circuit but now what to do with the old low voltage circuit?

is there battery back up, and what kind of facility is this?

#9 ·
So before you started anything there was already an exit breaker feeding emergency equipment. The existing Exit had not battery in it, so it was probably fed from a battery inside a battery emergency unit (box with two emergency heads on it).

The new Exit combo your putting in already has a battery so I'd say cap off and label the existing DC wire coming from the old battery unit or remove it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.