Electrician Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im coming out of a weatherproof disco. with 4/0 SER. Im actually coming out of the back of the disco into the house. The builder wanted me to use 5/8 strut to hold the meter and disco off the house so he could install the siding behind the boxes at a later time. Supply house tells me they dont carry anything and to cut the bushing in a SEU connector or use duct seal to wrap my NM connector going into the back of the box. Any thoughts? should be good? Im thinking of just gobbing duct seal all over the back of the connector. Much better then taking the SER out and refeeding it through.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!! Ive never seen those before. Unfortunately in the case, Im already finished the hard part of mounting everything but definitely for the future ill recommend that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That is a nice product to use for a nice looking job, I have also used 5/4 and larger wood boards that were painted or flashed, but if you where concerned about a a non weatherproof connector in the 3R, it is not required if the connector enters the enclosure below all energized parts.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,769 Posts
That is a nice product to use for a nice looking job, I have also used 5/4 and larger wood boards that were painted or flashed,
TOTALLY agree. On a new job, siding behind a meter/disconnect is hack and looks like crap IMO.
For vinyl I use and Arlington block. For any other kind of siding a wood block as in the quote.
If the siding's up and they don't care, sure, I'll mount right too it, unless of course they want to pay to do it right.

In the OP's case, I think duct seal is the answer.

Reactions: BIGRED

·
Super Moderator
EC
22,063 Posts
Use a standard connector with duct seal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts