Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if purchasing a infrared camera would be a good investment. lets say I'm on a service call, offer the customer, " hey, for $xx I could scan your electrical panel, or some other devices for loose connections, or other possible problems, would you be interested?
or I could even just offer to inspect the panel insides and check for any loose connections or problems.?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I don't see how you could charge for just a quick scan of a panel. If you want to get certified as a thermographer and provide test reports that is a different story. But for a homeowner I don't see it, maybe you just do it for free with a service call and make your money repairing the problems you find.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a preventative maintenance service, perhaps show them some loose connection damage pictures and explain the benefits of the service. Having a $1,000 ish infrared camera and print them a inspection report for $50-150 maybe?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could possibly use it to check the meter lugs or even check older receptacles possibly upgrade new switches and receptacles.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Get an app for your phone, it's cheaper than a IR camera and software, and is probably all you'll need for basic stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts