Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There, I am new to this site, but have had an electrical contracting business with my husband for 25 years. We are a small family business and currently have three electricians in the field. We do a wide variety of commercial, residential and occasionally industrial electrical work. I am really interested to know how others handle there small business. We have never used a flat rate system. A good portion of our work is troubleshooting problems and making needed repairs. Most of our work is billed on a t&m basis, though we also do a fair amount of quotes. We have material in our shop, and pick up material for jobs from the supply house as needed. The electricians fill out a work order online that includes:
1) line items of material used from the shop.
2) packing slip numbers for material they picked up for the job.
3) hours billed to job and a description of work completed.
They also mark the packing slip for what material they actually used on the job, what material was put into stock and if any of the material was going to be returned to the supply house.
Then this information is sent to the office and I go through the packing slips to the supply house invoice to tally up what actually gets charged to the customer versus what I input as shop stock, etc.

Then I do the invoice for the customer. A decent portion of our system is automated, we use quickbooks and an online program for work orders that syncs with quickbooks (though the work order program is very slow and really only works well with an ethernet connected PC).

This all becomes rather time consuming and I would love to hear about anyone using a system that is easier. Also - if anyone has found the magic wand for all the incoming phone calls and scheduling, dealing with jobs that are always changing and also having room in the schedule for emergency calls I would Love to hear that too!!

Thanks

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,810 Posts
Harry, that's your cue, SHOWTIME........ Cue the band!

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
Hi There, I am new to this site, but have had an electrical contracting business with my husband for 25 years. We are a small family business and currently have three electricians in the field. We do a wide variety of commercial, residential and occasionally industrial electrical work. I am really interested to know how others handle there small business. We have never used a flat rate system. A good portion of our work is troubleshooting problems and making needed repairs. Most of our work is billed on a t&m basis, though we also do a fair amount of quotes. We have material in our shop, and pick up material for jobs from the supply house as needed. The electricians fill out a work order online that includes:
1) line items of material used from the shop.
2) packing slip numbers for material they picked up for the job.
3) hours billed to job and a description of work completed.
They also mark the packing slip for what material they actually used on the job, what material was put into stock and if any of the material was going to be returned to the supply house.
Then this information is sent to the office and I go through the packing slips to the supply house invoice to tally up what actually gets charged to the customer versus what I input as shop stock, etc.

Then I do the invoice for the customer. A decent portion of our system is automated, we use quickbooks and an online program for work orders that syncs with quickbooks (though the work order program is very slow and really only works well with an ethernet connected PC).

This all becomes rather time consuming and I would love to hear about anyone using a system that is easier. Also - if anyone has found the magic wand for all the incoming phone calls and scheduling, dealing with jobs that are always changing and also having room in the schedule for emergency calls I would Love to hear that too!!

Thanks

Are you trying to tell us your phones are blowing up?
:laughing:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you trying to tell us your phones are blowing up?
:laughing:
Some days more than others Yes! I am not complaining, I'm always happy that business is good :thumbup:. But there are definately days when I really need to get my bookkeeping done and have to shut the phone off in order for that to happen. Then it feels like I'm on the catch up hamster wheel for days! :eek:

·
Ditch Digging Dummy
1,860 Posts
Some days more than others Yes! I am not complaining, I'm always happy that business is good :thumbup:. But there are definately days when I really need to get my bookkeeping done and have to shut the phone off in order for that to happen. Then it feels like I'm on the catch up hamster wheel for days! :eek:
What online program do you use?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Method CRM along with their Field Service Center which has the work orders in it. It is totally customizable and I was able to customize it to be pretty much just what I wanted. I have tried many things over the years, I like Method the most, but really wish they would get their new version up and running as it is supposed to be much faster and have a good mobile app with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts