Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Service change question

4K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  Speedy Petey 
#1 ·
I have a client that we're doing work on their home to sell. One inspection objection is to change out the panel because it lacks the dead front. Client lost it somehow and so we're needing to install a new panel for the buyers to close.

Going from 150A to 150A. Can we simply swap the panel? Or do we need to go through all the hoops i.e. new ground rods, continous bond to water pipe etc.

In my mind this isn't an upgrade, just a basic panel swap but I figured I'd ask the experts.

Thanks,

Chris

#8 ·
Well Next, I would expect them to be able to answer a question without the need to come out and "see the job". It's not as if I asked for a firm price on doing it, I've called 5 electricians this weekend and everyone has to come out and look at it before being able to say anything. Seems shady to me. They should be able to say wheter they could just swap panel or not.

#11 ·
Well Next, I would expect them to be able to answer a question without the need to come out and "see the job". It's not as if I asked for a firm price on doing it, I've called 5 electricians this weekend and everyone has to come out and look at it before being able to say anything. Seems shady to me. They should be able to say wheter they could just swap panel or not.
would you give a price on remodeling a house without seeing it first?

of course they would need to go see it before giving a price. too many variables for a panel change.

you cant be that dense can you?

#14 ·
You may not be able to just swap out the panel . Certain areas I work in if you pull a permit you have to add smoke detectors in every bedroom . Some make you bring the grounding up to code . Others make you add an outside disconnect if the meter base and panel are not back to back . It's a lot of variables .

#17 ·
It all depends on the size of your main conductors- if they meet the current code requirements for 150amps then you can change it out, but you should still verify ground rods or install new. I'm thinking #2 awg copper is min for 150 Amps but that's just off the top of my head. 1/o aluminum I believe .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.