Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I need your help again for personal research

Q1 - How do we call the neutral cable unshielded actually supports the line conductors and on wish a messenger wire is attached for the neutral?

Q2 - Is a special wire required outside (from the pole to the building)... ABC? I'm guessing steel instead of copper

·
Registered
40 Posts
If your talking about that cable you have pictured there, we call it quadplex. 4 conductors hence the "quad". They also make 2 and 3 conductor aerial cables. Called duplex and triplex. The uninsulated wire is commonly used as a grounded conductor. It has aluminum wrapped around a single steel wire for strength. Hope I answered your question? Be safe.

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I understand correctly both the unshielded wire that acts as a support for the line wire is called the messenger and so is the short portion of wire clamped to it near the service cap

Q3 - In a 3 phase entrance (for example main entrance connected to a switch gear or a splitter trough) the messenger goes directly to the neutral busbar or lug?

Q4 - How is the messenger sized?

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
The bare conductor of the overhead wire is the Neutral. It goes to the neutral bar. 'Hired Hand' explains that particular cable.

It is sized by the cable manufacturer... You decide on the amperage of your outbuilding and look it up in the code and order the cable, be it tri or quad plex.

Install your 'point of attachment' below the service head.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hope I understand your question correctly, forgive me if not. The short portion of wire I think your talking about which goes into the weather head(service cap) is actually crimped into the bare "messenger" wire your referring to. Just like any typical meter/panel main you have your conductors running from the meter base to the outside of your weatherhead. The bare in most cases will be crimped onto your grounded conductor(neutral) outside the head with the other cables. You or the poco(depending on how nice yours is) will install a bolt on porcelain or rubber knob to your pipe going through the roof about 1 foot under the cap. Then they will attach what's called a "catch off" to the bare conductor which will clamp on to the knob or bolt on clamp. Then all the weight/stress of the cable is on the steel wire in the bare conductor. From there they will probably crimp on to all conductors coming from your mast. Be safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts