Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I'm rewiring a 60 year old home. The service entrance location is being moved. The only sensible location that I can find is to enter just above the foundation. However to do this I'd have to drill through the sill plate and bottom plate for the wall upstairs. Not sure if this is okay or not. Look forward to feedback!

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
matthewsmcm said:
Hey folks. I'm rewiring a 60 year old home. The service entrance location is being moved. The only sensible location that I can find is to enter just above the foundation. However to do this I'd have to drill through the sill plate and bottom plate for the wall upstairs. Not sure if this is okay or not. Look forward to feedback!
Why wouldn't it be?

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Floor Joists?

or no?

60 year old house you might/probably have the joists cemented in?

You could always go lower and pop a hole through the concrete foundation no?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's two 2x4 s on top of each other just above the foundation wall. I guess this is what they used for a rim joist.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
matthewsmcm said:
It's two 2x4 s on top of each other just above the foundation wall. I guess this is what they used for a rim joist.
Drill it ! No worries.
So floor joists are sitting on top of them then?
Your original post sounded like it was up at floor height above floor joist.
But as far as I know any thing 2" below floor height is fair game.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,721 Posts
The band is not structural. It is just there the keep the joist in line. If it is on the wall parallel to the joist then it is sitting on a foundation so a few holes wont hurt it

·
Registered
448 Posts
This sounds like balloon framing. If it is, you should be able to go in above the sill because you have the depth of the floor joist to work with.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
I've always considered drilling through the foundation a liability, especially if the holes low an close to the ground. All you need is a good snow storm and get that hole you drilled leaking into and around the panel makes for a poor installation in my opinion. I would do whatever it takes to come through a wooden framing member at 24" high minimum. It's also much easier installing service-entrance conductor through the rim joist area.

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
matthewsmcm said:
Would it be a bad idea to just bust through the foundation?
Yes it would.

No matter what NEVER do it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.