Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When doing a service that requires a disconnect on the exterior, how do some of you do your grounding? For instance on QO 100 amp disconnect they only have lugs for the neutral and one ground. What do you guys do with your water ground and ground rod? I usually add lugs to the case of the disconnect via a 1/4x20 bolt and take my water ground through that and land it on the one supplied ground lug then take the SER ground and ground rod to the other 2 lugs off that same 1/4x20.. Is this code compliant?

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-b...O2100-Breaker-Included-QO2100NRBCP/100172670/

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
When doing a service that requires a disconnect on the exterior, how do some of you do your grounding? For instance on QO 100 amp disconnect they only have lugs for the neutral and one ground. What do you guys do with your water ground and ground rod? I usually add lugs to the case of the disconnect via a 1/4x20 bolt and take my water ground through that and land it on the one supplied ground lug then take the SER ground and ground rod to the other 2 lugs off that same 1/4x20.. Is this code compliant?

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-b...O2100-Breaker-Included-QO2100NRBCP/100172670/
In this case you can add lugs in the main disconnected, all the ones I've put in have the proper lugs, this could be a state by state issue, because of all the different POCO requirements.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
AEP, I assume is your power company.

I found this page that is listed at the bottom of their page
"Builders and Contractors".

https://www.aepohio.com/builders/

Requirements for Electrical Service, might be what you need!

Most all POCO's will have a technical manual of some sorts for
us to use... not all are easy to find (directly).

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
We use RMC entrance pipe here, but it's the same concept. I run my water ground into my panel, landed on the grounding bushing, run it through the pipe, land on the other bushing, pass it through the disconnect lug, and onto my ground rod. All in one unbroken wire.
For SER: I would run the water ground unbroken directly into the main disconnect without going through the panel, pass it through the disconnect lug, and to the rod. Then for the SER ground, I would either tap a second lug or slap on a grounding bushing inside the meter socket and call it a day.

It's not necessary, but I don't like a broken GEC on anything if I can run it continuous.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,178 Posts
Use a Cutler Hammer type BR meter/main combination in those situations, they have a long bond/neutral busbar on the load side of the can that is bolted to the neutral lug by the manufacturer. Enough spots to land ten or 12 gec's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.