Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
I can't get any of the local power companies to energize any service without the wiring inspector calling them and authorizing it. Company policy prohibits me from tying it in so the customer would have to wait.

This became an issue on a Saturday night repair to a store when the inspector was in having fun away in another state and was so drunk he could not remember his password to authorize a connection. To be fair, he was on his time, it is not like he was supposed to be at work. The customer stayed without power till Sunday morning when they got someone inside the town hall to find the password for the power company.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Our power company has to see the city inspection sticker before they will turn the power back on. They will disconnect it without seeing a permit and often the DIYs will not have a permit...have to get a permit before it can be inspected.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Ex#1- Serv call @ Okemo yesterday, 75' of seU across basement into 200A panel/main

no bureaucracy,no permit, no inspection, no license, no hope.....:(

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ex#2-Serv upgrade in NH last year, Nat Grid demands permit

Town of Alstead NH refuses to deal in state bureaucracy , NH employing state permits and a whole (count 'em) 3 electrical inspectors. :rolleyes:

Big fight between town of Alstead and the state inspector goes on for 3 weeks while resident (luckily 2nd home) goes w/o power , and your truly caught in the middle

paper tiger bureaucracy , almost as good as nothing at all in Ex#1

End result- licensure penalised, better a DIY handyman in either scenario

~CS~

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
We tie in a lot ourselves. Usually poco's & the powers that be are understanding, and we try and work with them.

That said, we've investigated the letter of the law concerning utilities, and what is considered theft of utilities.

Generally speaking, if we're granted the building owners consent to do maintenance (which includes a cut/down & tie in) we are beyond reproach of any given 'utility doctrine' .

The state (depending on which state) can have their say as to what is allowed to be energized and what is not, but all in all would rather not be on the receiving end of Joe Customer w/o power

~CS~

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
Around here is is against the law to work within 10 feet of the utility lines without calling them. Even secondaries. They wont let anyone pull meters. But there is no inspection. Sometimes I will get in an argument becuase the poco lineman wants the gec to run from the meter to the panel.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
We tie back in our self then call for inspection so the customers not left without power
That is typically the way it is done here for residential. At times the POCO will want a release from the inspector, be it me or another, prior to re-energizing a commercial service.

Pete

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I can't get any of the local power companies to energize any service without the wiring inspector calling them and authorizing it. Company policy prohibits me from tying it in so the customer would have to wait.

This became an issue on a Saturday night repair to a store when the inspector was in having fun away in another state and was so drunk he could not remember his password to authorize a connection. To be fair, he was on his time, it is not like he was supposed to be at work. The customer stayed without power till Sunday morning when they got someone inside the town hall to find the password for the power company.

Hence why you do it under their noses if you have too. I think we are all fed up with having to do what is convenient for complete invalids while everyone around them is on a stake burning.:(:laughing:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts