Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long it takes you to remove a fuse panel and install a new breaker panel? Do you have any tips to improve my speed doing this.

I usualy cut the power
2. Identify white wires onto the fuse (240v circuit),
3. Remove every wire from the old panel,
4. Remove main wire,
5. REmove old panel,
6. taking mesurement on new panel and install it into place,
7. Filling the new panel back, add junction if wire are too shorts.

My 2 last panel upgrade were not the fastest. Boss telling was long. This is why I ask because I'm a first year apprentice. Thank you

Sorry for poor English, This forum keep teaching me English. lol

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
One of the biggest helpers are white sticky tags. Circuit designation (if already known), amps and then any special marking such as a GFI or AFCI breaker. Never assume breaker size by wire gauge, always double check the old. I have found #12 on 15 amps, a 20 would be in place until I find it latter splices down to a #14.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
How long it takes you to remove a fuse panel and install a new breaker panel? Do you have any tips to improve my speed doing this.

I usualy cut the power
2. Identify white wires onto the fuse (240v circuit),
3. Remove every wire from the old panel,
4. Remove main wire,
5. REmove old panel,
6. taking mesurement on new panel and install it into place,
7. Filling the new panel back, add junction if wire are too shorts.

My 2 last panel upgrade were not the fastest. Boss telling was long. This is why I ask because I'm a first year apprentice. Thank you

Sorry for poor English, This forum keep teaching me English. lol
As a first year,you will take longer,so as long as you work the whole time you're there don't worry.

Remember,no matter how hard you work,you will always be told you're slow.

Work at a steady pace and make no mistakes and you'll be fine.

Guys that work too fast make lots of mistakes that have to be cleaned up at the end of the job ,,if found.

Just do your best every day.

Some panel changes take longer than others depending on the set up.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
If you can, take the guts out of the old panel, and certainly the new one. Nock out the KOs, install clamps, mount the empty can then fish the wires through. Adding the guts after words saves a lot of time and:censored:.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Fabulous said:
How long it takes you to remove a fuse panel and install a new breaker panel? Do you have any tips to improve my speed doing this. I usualy cut the power 2. Identify white wires onto the fuse (240v circuit), 3. Remove every wire from the old panel, 4. Remove main wire, 5. REmove old panel, 6. taking mesurement on new panel and install it into place, 7. Filling the new panel back, add junction if wire are too shorts. My 2 last panel upgrade were not the fastest. Boss telling was long. This is why I ask because I'm a first year apprentice. Thank you Sorry for poor English, This forum keep teaching me English. lol
youre doing panel changes by yourself as a first year guy? :eek: speed isnt everything, id worry about efficiency for now . How quickly you complete tasks will improve with experience in the trade. But youre first goal should be looking for an employer who will guide and teach you the trade, not criticize you on your performance on tasks you shouldnt be doing. All i did my first year was sweep and hand my boss what he needed. I learned a lot this way , the guy stuttered and i had to anticipate his every move and have ready what he needed before he asked(because it took 4 minutes to ask for 3 wire nuts)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the biggest helpers are white sticky tags. Circuit designation (if already known), amps and then any special marking such as a GFI or AFCI breaker. Never assume breaker size by wire gauge, always double check the old. I have found #12 on 15 amps, a 20 would be in place until I find it latter splices down to a #14.
I will look for sticky tags at the shop, I was identifying most of the circuit, but this way, breaker size and circuit identification will be the best. Thank you for the tips ;)

meadow said:
If you can, take the guts out of the old panel, and certainly the new one. Nock out the KOs, install clamps, mount the empty can then fish the wires through. Adding the guts after words saves a lot of time and:censored:.
What is the gut? And what is the emty can? lol

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I will look for sticky tags at the shop, I was identifying most of the circuit, but this way, breaker size and circuit identification will be the best. Thank you for the tips ;)

The can is the actual metal case of the panel (not the door) and the guts are the plastic holding the buss bars and neutral bars. Most manufacturers allow the inerds to be taken out by removing a few screws, which leaves just the tub. After the wires inside the assembly can be put back inside the can.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
If you don't have the tags I just use 3M 35 white tape and an ink pen. If the circuits aren't labeled, just label each one as to it's amperage and voltage. Like has already been stated, you'll probably find a lot of #14's on 30 amp plug fuses..........:whistling2: I've never tried it but I like the idea of removing the interior of the new panel before installing it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
317 Posts

Le gut c'est le milieu du panneau ou se trouvent les bus bars et les breakers. Empty can c'est juste la tole qui fait le panneau.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
4 hour job for a 200 amp panel. I used to be superfast , once did a complete 150 amp upgrade with a helper in 1 hour. That was a onetime deal, never to be done again as much as attempted.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
There's many variables here like is the panel surface or flush mount? If surface, will you be replacing the panel board too? How many circuits? Are the circuit BX or romex? All of these things are vary from panel to panel. While one surface mounted panel may have 6-8 circuits and take 2-3 hours to complete, another may be flush with 24 circuits in BX and take 6-8 hours to finish. This is why pricing is different for different tasks and labor hours vary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.