Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

There is an existing 4 meter bank enclosure with 4 60a breakers that needs to be replaced.

The utility is currently providing a 200a service. The only replacement meter packs I could find have a 400a bus.

www.eaton.com

1MP4124RC | Eaton meter pack | Eaton
1MP4124RC - Eaton meter pack, 125A, Copper, Bus: 400A, No bypass, NEMA 3R, 4, Single-phase in/single-phase out, BR_, BRH_, BRHH_, Ring, 120/240V
www.eaton.com
www.eaton.com

My utility is saying "We size to the landing section, so in this case, we would run a service for 400A"

This project is an overhead service, so we would prefer to not have to upgrade the service, because it would need to be changed to an underground service.

I am having trouble finding a 4 gang meter pack with a 200a bus. Would it be in regulation to bring the service into a 200a disconnect first, then over to my meter pack with the 400a buss?

Any suggestions here?

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,900 Posts
Any suggestions here?
I highly suggest taking a couple of minutes to fill out your profile. It's required, and helps us help you. I have provided a link below to assist you with this.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,857 Posts
I doubt you will find a 4 gang meter / disconnect with a 200 amp buss. The service feeders are sized to the calculated load of the building. Also submit the meter equipment specs to the powers that be before you order it. I know somebody who saved and bought from Home Depot a 6 gang set up and did a very nice installation. When it came time to hook it up the utility company said it was not approved and rejected it.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
1,132 Posts
As stated you need a LOT more information before a product can be selected.
Fault Current and meter socket. Arizona has 6 or so utilities with 2 distinct meter bases.
Putting the wrong meter base up is a quick way to prolong the agony before you get to the joy.

This is in no way a suggestion.
Eaton 1MP2122R Meter Pack 200 amp buss with 125 amp meter sockets. Use 2 of them and gutter between them on the top.
This would be extremely ugly.

It might be time for the owner to face the music and upgrade the electric service into the 20th century.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As stated you need a LOT more information before a product can be selected.
Fault Current and meter socket. Arizona has 6 or so utilities with 2 distinct meter bases.
Putting the wrong meter base up is a quick way to prolong the agony before you get to the joy.

This is in no way a suggestion.
Eaton 1MP2122R Meter Pack 200 amp buss with 125 amp meter sockets. Use 2 of them and gutter between them on the top.
This would be extremely ugly.

It might be time for the owner to face the music and upgrade the electric service into the 20th century.
I know the meter bases are correct. How do I find the available Fault Current? Ask the Utility?

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I doubt you will find a 4 gang meter / disconnect with a 200 amp buss. The service feeders are sized to the calculated load of the building. Also submit the meter equipment specs to the powers that be before you order it. I know somebody who saved and bought from Home Depot a 6 gang set up and did a very nice installation. When it came time to hook it up the utility company said it was not approved and rejected it.
Im not sure I understand what you are saying:

"submit the meter equipment specs to the powers that be before you order it"

Can you clarify that?

I understand that I don't want to install the wrong equipment, that is why I am asking for suggestions.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
1,132 Posts
Yes the utility is the place you need to start. A new service with any of the utilities I have dealt with will require the job to go to engineering. That is where they check the distribution out and make any needed changes on their side of the equation. Get their specs on what they want for the service. My serving utility still uses concepts, ideas and products right out of the 1950's.
Then there are the standards that the utilities follow. Here one of the standards is EUSERC Manufacturing Requirements along with their own requirements. The serving utility should have a web page where all of this is laid out for you.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes the utility is the place you need to start. A new service with any of the utilities I have dealt with will require the job to go to engineering. That is where they check the distribution out and make any needed changes on their side of the equation. Get their specs on what they want for the service. My serving utility still uses concepts, ideas and products right out of the 1950's.
Then there are the standards that the utilities follow. Here one of the standards is EUSERC Manufacturing Requirements along with their own requirements. The serving utility should have a web page where all of this is laid out for you.
I have completed many panel changes for single meter main combos, where all I do is a disconnect reconnect. The process requires no engineering. The issue here is the fact that there is no longer a 200a meter pack with 4 meters.
Even if I keep the main breakers sized the same, they want to size the service to where they land their wires.
So my idea was to make the service go into a 200a disconnect and over to my meter bank.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,857 Posts
Some people buy metering equipment on the internet or Home Depot online. They sell nationally and what might acceptable in Pennsylvania might not be accepted in NY. or wherever. Here the utility wants a ringless, lever bypass meter. They make a horn bypass meter but it is not approved. They have ringless and ring type meters. Other than single meter, 200 amp and less, always check with the utility company.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.