Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys were posting some tools earlier, and I thought you might like to see my service upgrade toolkit. I have some particular things in a bucket all of their own, because they're mostly used in service upgrades. Grab my pouch tools and this bucket for service upgrades, and I'm ready to go!

I'll lay out the items in the next post, and explain them a little bit.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

1. Rubber mallet, for forming SE cable into proper place or helping conductors into an LB.
2. Ratchet cutters, for obvious reasons.
3. Ridgid E-110 smooth jaw hex pipewrench, for installing weatherproof SE connectors into meter hub without leaving teeth marks.
4. Greenlee 727 cutters, for individual conductors.
5. 1/2" and 9/16" offset box end wrench for acorn clamps and large water pipe clamps

6. clip receptacle, for temp power from the drop.
7. power tap, for sharing power inside and outside.
8. Big Klein screwdriver, with tip I specially ground to fit meter base lug screw slots very well (wide flat on end of tip)
9. Ulility Tools 4x4 stripper for service conductors
10. Conductor bending fork tool for on the end of a 3/8" drive ratchet.

11. Chalk line, for keeping SE cable or pipe riser straight and plumb.
12. Ekstrom MDD-45 gaurd, for gaurding hot line side meter jaws if only load side cable is being replaced.
13. Penetrox
14. Eklind long insulated T-handle allen wrenches for lugs (they're the BEST!)
15. Big Crescent wrench, to put on screwdriver shaft for slotted lug screws.

16. Duct seal.
17. Clear silicone (these aerosol cans are really nice. No tube to harden)

Reactions: AWKrueger

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey MD, that's a nice layout.

How much do those 4x4 tools cost ya? I'd love to have one here, I've only had the pleasure of using them once. You know, hooking up a CT cab while the POCO guys stood behind me watchin', they let me use there 4x4 and man was that nice!

Usually I just take a hawk-bill, score around the wire then shave one strip of insulation off.

Good post

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the time you buy whatever size dies for all four ends, you'll have about 150 bucks tied up in it. You buy the die for the gauge and insulation type, since the blade is set for the gauge, and the opening hole is bored for the insulation type. A 99 cent utility knife from the dollar store will do the job too.

·
Premium Member
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
Nice setup. I have close to the same stuff. I use my lineman's bucket for doing tap-ons. We have to use Fargo connectors and covers and they are bulky so the bucket lashed onto the x-ladder is a help. This way all my tools and material are right there as well. I usually use my lineman's belt to lean back on so both hands are free. Doing live tap-ons I like to be very sure of what I am doing, and hanging on with one hand does NOT help things.

I like #6.:thumbsup: I made one of those many years ago and it has come in very handy numerous times.

I really like the Ridgid E-110. I never saw that one before. Me thinks I may have to look into one.....

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice!!

Gotta love tool ****:eek: :laughing: :laughing:

I have #2 myself, and they are very nice to have. I bought mine new from E-Bay for like $125 shipped and they were new in the package. Makes life sooooo much easier with large conductors.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have #2 myself, and they are very nice to have. I bought mine new from E-Bay for like $125 shipped and they were new in the package. Makes life sooooo much easier with large conductors.
Yeah, just keep your eye on them. They've got to be close to the #1 most stolen electrician tool. Most people know they're expensive. I forget what they are retail... closer to 150-175 bucks, I'm thinking.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have most of those and don't even use them much anymore. We have it made down here. We don't do any taps at all. The PC says the insurance is too high to allow us to hook up any live service taps. We just have to install the conduit from the can to 3' above the roof, put the wire in the conduit, put a weather head on, and install the attachment point. The PC comes in and does the rest free of charge. For underground we also just install the conduit. They supply the wire and pull in into the conduit. In Delaware we had to do everything.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have most of those and don't even use them much anymore. We have it made down here. We don't do any taps at all.
I guess I'll do another picture thread some day on crimpers and taps. Thanks for the idea. :thumbsup:

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Yeah, just keep your eye on them. They've got to be close to the #1 most stolen electrician tool. Most people know they're expensive. I forget what they are retail... closer to 150-175 bucks, I'm thinking.
Low end, most are more I think. I finally broke down last year and bought a pair. $175, I think, and I Love them!

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Low end, most are more I think. I finally broke down last year and bought a pair. $175, I think, and I Love them!
Mine have a couple nice nicks from ACSR, when I forgot. :001_huh: I normally use bolt cutters on ACSR. HK Porter makes a pair of ratchet cutters that are especially for ACSR, but they're over 500 bucks. I don't do enough overhead work to justify that. A 50 dollar pair of bolt cutters does the trick.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I saw that long case, I thought, "Cool, hotline tools". I see it's just fly rods. :eek:

·
Registered
Electrician
3,669 Posts
Nice Brian! You have more in the cost of that case then my fly rod set up.
Fishing tomorrow!!!!!!

Reactions: Hybwolf

·
Registered
194 Posts
Item # 6

The item # 6 that you purchased, I made something similar when I was contracting.
I crimped on the aligator clips to a cord. The cord was about 25 ft long, with a bell box at the end -GFCI quad device. I also had a tie at the aligator clip end so I could fasten the contraption to keep it from falling off as we worked...gotta have power for the radio;)

I also had a crimp set, as I tried to crimp all of my service terminations...I would crimp the SE load side on the ground, so the only work up on the ladder would be crimping the utility side...Yes, we had to make that splice.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.