Electrician Talk banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Largely SEU here. Utility will likely run SEU from the meter up to the weather head. Very often SEU from the meter into the house. Some places call for risers of pvc. Obviously if you need a mast it gets done. Miles of SEU here.
Yup. Can't remember the last time I did a resi service that wasn't AL SEU riser or AL pulled in PVC underground. I haven't used copper on a riser in 3 or 4 years, and that was on a 400A 277/480V service.

·
Banned
4,505 Posts
RandyM said:
The inspector here would laugh at you, slap a fail sticker on it then tell you to call back when you have it in in conduit!
But that must be some stupid local code like the Chicago emt crap.

I don't do my services in seu because of sun and salt air corrosion but it's safe and legal according to the NEC

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
nrp3 said:
There are some places here that won't allow it either. The utility will call for a riser if they think that there is Asbestos siding too.
You know why? So we, the electrician installs the riser and disturbs the asbestos, and not their lineman. Pretty generous huh?

·
Bababoee
9,186 Posts
Rigid is over rated.. Sandy and the last few storms taught me that the tree branch almost always wins.... and if you using a metal weather head and a branch falls on it it will blow the conductors apart and damage them.
I had a few seu services in which the poco was able to temporarily hang back on the house and get the people back online till we came to fix it for real.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Do yourself a favor and have people or friends call around to other well established ecs in your area...and ask them for prices on stuff. 2700 is pretty middle road when I did my market reaserch.
If your selling something for 1800 that people are paying 3500 for your leaving big money on the table..
Just using round figures is a big failure in my opinion. Its like you guys are just ball parking..... 650 for material 150 permit and 1000 for me..... thats not how to stay in buisness and grow your company..
I know plllllllllenty of guys that were charging 1800 14 years ago and for some reason I see that same number today..
My guys have insurance, 401, sick and vacation pay. I take a shi t ton of pride in providing a real job to grown men. I dont just look at my bank account and say "oh time to make the doughnuts when it gets low.
But wtf do I know.....
But keep in mind guys im in north jersey. Expensive area to live and filled to the brim with folk that make money.
I got 3200 for my last service change two weeks ago. And we got It done in a day not to mention I got the ho to sit for inspection so i really made out on it. If you guys like selling them for 1800 knock yourselves out... I guarantee I will be around longer then you. And god willi
ng I will be in a position to take the tools off one day and become more of a buisness man with people doing all the jobs I try to do myself.
And im not saying this because im patting myself on the back. We as tradesmen need to stick together so we can all make money.
Good hunting....
I like the way you talk, but, what portion of that amount covered the adding of receptacles, as needed, and the redistribution of existing circuits? :)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
If I am charging 1800 then that is just a service no branch circuits connected. And it had better be fairly easy. Minimum service change is about 2500 here. Sometimes we do just the mast and meter can and that starts out at about 1000 if we don't have to do much. And minimum for panels changes are about 1200.

·
Can't Remember
10,820 Posts
I was looking at one this afternoon, a 200 to 320 and he was all concerned about it coming off. I told him that rigid riser is coming down with the trees anyway. Going pvc this time. I don't feel its buying him anything and just as ugly.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.