Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
anything I didn't install, and isn't construction work

as much as possible without giving the customer a heart attack (I don't have a defibrillator on my truck)

Reactions: drumnut08

·
Kind of a big deal here
923 Posts
Anything that isn't new construction, under $30k, and only needs one inspection. We bill out (on the low side from my experience) $125/hr for just me, and an additional $45/hr for apprentice. ($40,000 last month, headed for $65,000 this month)

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Back in the 70's The company I worked for had 40 or so on construction and 8 service trucks.

The service trucks did 1 hour jobs up to $15,000 jobs. They would be little stores in a mall, traffic lights in Vegerville, a Giant tow-able Hovercraft in a farmers field that was to be heading up north or something like that. I think rates were like $30 an hour back then.

Damn I had an interesting job back then.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Back in the 70's The company I worked for had 40 or so on construction and 8 service trucks.

The service trucks did 1 hour jobs up to $15,000 jobs. They would be little stores in a mall, traffic lights in Vegerville, a Giant tow-able Hovercraft in a farmers field that was to be heading up north or something like that. I think rates were like $30 an hour back then.

Damn I had an interesting job back then.
I wish I was in my 30s back in 1970. I would have ran a billion feet of aluminum romex.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
I wish I was in my 30s back in 1970. I would have ran a billion feet of aluminum romex.
The company I worked for actually never ran that stuff. Us service guys would install an electric drier or an extra circuit but the company generally stayed away from resi.

Damn I even worked on a Drive-in theater, 347 volt heaters (for when you were on the 1st or 2nd date).

EDIT: I even wired up the first strip club in Edmonton (as a Service Guy). It was a big deal in the papers at the time. Tracy Stars on White Ave methinks. Flew the babes in from Toronto. Now of course I think we have 7,892 strip clubs in town.

I should probably have lunch at one today. Wonder if the old ticker can handle it?

Good memories.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
been there done that went back and did it again and again and again and again and again and again and again.........
I need to raise my rates , I charge only $100 an hr for myself.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
In residential, service is working directly for the homeowner rather than working for the builder or general contractor. Smaller projects, more profit as a percentage and COD. I contract rather than hourly rate and don't quote rates because this is real-name for me.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I need to raise my rates , I charge only $100 an hr for myself.
raise your rate 10% and you will see how easy it is. Based on an average of 1000 billable hours an additional $10 will put 10 grand in your pocket at years end and I don't know your thinking but me 10 grand is 10 grand.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
How do you define service work,
Something to occupy our time between contracts

and what is your average hourly rate?
In step with my local demographics , with consideration as to circumstances

i.e.- blue haired old lady w/tripped GFCI vs. arrogant tourist with hot tub issues....

~CS~

·
332 Posts
electricmalone said:
Anything that isn't new construction, under $30k, and only needs one inspection. We bill out (on the low side from my experience) $125/hr for just me, and an additional $45/hr for apprentice. ($40,000 last month, headed for $65,000 this month)
$65,000/$170 per hour is roughly 382 hours billed in one month. Dividing that by all 31 days in the month is just over 12 hours a day every day of the month. Am I interpreting this correctly?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts